Did my first auto repair this weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did my first auto repair this weekend

First one since the accident that is. gotcha.

Had to get the 94 Camaro back on the road, the water pump was leaking though the weephole. I mostly did stuff right handed, the left hand was still bandaged. It took longer than it should have even though I had to improvise with what turned out to be a time saving step. according to manuals the power steering pump bracket must be removed to gain access to some of the water pump bolts. In order to do this you have to remove the pulley with a special puller in order to get to the bolts, the pulley has no access holes. Not having that particular puller, time to look into alternatives.

On 3.4 engines, you do not have to pull the pulley off the power steering bracket in order to remove the bracket. There are two studs on the back of the power steering pump that bolt to a bracket on the backside. By loosening the two nuts to the end, you can remove the rest of the bracket bolts and move the entire assembly far enough to gain easy access to the water pump bolts on the driver's side. Once the water pump is removed and reinstalled, the power steering assembly swings right back into place and bolted up.

The rest was easy, I just kept having to take breaks as I got tired quickly. I'm not back to normal yet. I am trying what I thought to be a snakeoil product that has initially shown to be very positive. It's a putty that is used in high temperature applications like filling cracks in exhaust headers, grills, etc. It's supposed to be good for 2400º F so I thought I would try an experiment. The EGR retaining studs had broken off and allowed a huge exhaust leak. The Egr is now ineffective and the large hole in the exhaust manifold was making the car undrivable. The only fixes I could think of was an angle adaper for a drill and spending hours drilling out the studs in cramped quarters, pulling the whole exhaust and replace with the headers sitting in the garage, or since I'm limited on stamina right now.....try a quick fix and see what happens. I took an old O2 sensor and test fit the hole. I was pretty close. I coated the threads with a large amount of the putty and stuck in it the EGR hole. I put some more on the outside to really get a good grip on the manifold. The instructions said to let it set for 3-4 hours and then gradually heat to 200º and let it cure for 10 minutes. Erica and I went out for dinner and a movie on a much needed night out, when we got back I fired up the engine at idle and let the manifold heat up. No leaks. I shut it down to let the curing process run it's course. After a half an hour, I went out and fired it up. No leaks. I've take the car on two drives for a total of about 30 miles and it appears to work. I could see this stuff being really handy.

It's called Thermosteel High Temp Metal Repair. Think of it as a ready mixed JB weld for high heat applications. It is advertised as being good for 2400º F and strength increases with heat.
Working...
X