Wanted: rear end w/LSD 3:42's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: rear end w/LSD 3:42's

I have a 99 Firebird and am looking for a rear end for it. I would like a LSD with 3:42's. I would be most intrested in the 98-02 rear ends, because I have the disk in rear, and it would save some time not having to swap over from drums. Any leads appriciated. Thanx, Jessica

I'm not sure what LSD stands for. But I have a rearend that's in my car now that I will sell. I have 3.42 in it. It's a 95 Z28 with 68000 miles Disc Brakes setup. I will give you the Axles with the rearend. Price (BO)

Comment

LSD is Limited Slip Differential. I had never heard of that till recently too.

FYI there are basicly 4 types of differntials.
      1. Is Open like a stock V6 F-body would have.
      2. There is a limited slip like the 93-97 F-bodies and 98-02 SS and Firehawks had. They are better for drag racing in a straight line.
      http://www.auburngear.com/ Auburns are clutch types standard limited slip differentials.

3. There is the Tossen like the 98-02 F-bodeis had (except SSs and Firehawks)
      Z28 had Torsen differentials. http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2.htm Torsens are weird. They have worm gears that help them drive both wheels. But if one wheel gets zero traction it will not drive the other one like a clutch type (Torsen has a new differential with worm gears and clutches to solve this.). However they are better for road racing because of that. They don't make the car over steer under power as much. They get better traction while turning. They aren't good for doing donuts but they will depending on the road conditions. If it is wet, they don't like to do donuts.

4. And there is the spool like Moroso makes. This is a drag only and not for the street. You can guarantee an accident with one of these on a rainy day.

So you need to make a decision on whether you would rather have the limited slip or the Torsen.

Oh and the 93-97 had rear disc but they are different than the 98-02.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

WOW, did I get educated Thanks! So, it would be best to find a 98-02? I have a 99 v6. You can't put anything good in these cases right? (v6).

Comment

Originally posted by jessica2112
          WOW, did I get educated Thanks! So, it would be best to find a 98-02? I have a 99 v6. You can't put anything good in these cases right? (v6).
          I would say yes. Some of the 93-95 axles had a flange that is .030 oversize and some later wheels won't fit on them. The brakes on the 93-97 are different too. I wouldn't put anything under it unless it was a 98-02. You will probably have a really hard time finding a rear end out of a SS or Firehawk. So you're pretty much gona have to get a Torsen if you want to swap the whole thing.

Let me start over for a second first. Does your car have TCS (Traction Control System)(some call it ASR for Anti Slip Rear)? The rear ends are different depending on whether you do or don't. Rear ends out of a TCS car are a lot harder to find.

Do you know if it is a series 2 or series 3 carrier? The reason I ask is you might consider replacing the chunk and gears although that may end up being more expensive. Maybe not. There is someone on here selling a set of 3.42 gears for $25. I have an old chunk but I think it needs new clutches and I don't think these are rebuildable like my old Dodge was. Having them installed can vary a lot depending on who does it.

Here is some place that sells the whole rear end. This is where I got my T56 conversion kit, 2001 rear end, and LS1 front brake conversion from. http://www.tennesseeauto.com/19to203nonas.html
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

3:42's for an A4? Why not go for 3:73? You'll get more punch out of it.
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I have a series 2 carrier I'm afraid. I think 3:08's is the highest gearset for a S2. Anything up is a S3. I don't know what I could put in that case to upgrade it, if anything. Oh, no traction control. I wouldn't mind 3:73's. I do some highway travel though, but do have OD.. What would be best with the sc? How do I change my shiftpoints? Wouldn't they be off?

Comment

Originally posted by jessica2112
                I have a series 2 carrier I'm afraid. I think 3:08's is the highest gearset for a S2. Anything up is a S3. I don't know what I could put in that case to upgrade it, if anything. Oh, no traction control. I wouldn't mind 3:73's. I do some highway travel though, but do have OD.. What would be best with the sc? How do I change my shiftpoints? Wouldn't they be off?
                Yea with the series 2 carrier you're going to have to get another rear end to go much higher. I saw a 3.42 for a series 2 carrier. I can't remember where. Not much choice there.

It sound like you have the right plan.

The shift points are set by the computer. All you have to do is get the computer reprogrammed to compensate for the gear change. I don't know how you do that with an OBD2. Once that is done, everything will be ok.

Here's a place not far from you (I think). http://www.tacreationsusa.com/rear_differentials.htm
                Their prices are a little high though for what you are looking for.
                $500 but if you can pick it up you save a lot on shipping.

http://www.tennesseeauto.com/19to203nonas.html
                $350 but I bet it would cost $100 to ship it to you. It's probably a 12 hour drive from where you are. If you tell Scott you found out about him from this message board and Jeff in Atlanta maybe he can do better on the price. I bought a ton of stuff from him and he cut the price to $250.

Good luck.

Comment

I found one for $350. I hope they still have one. Not open on the weekends. I would get 3:73's, but the rear ends don't come with them.
                  Tennessee is out of them.............damn

Comment

Working...
                  X