Deciding on a car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on a car

So I've been thinking about getting another Trans Am. I want it to be anywhere from a 1993-2003. Although I admit my price range will probably limit me to a 1993-1998 or so. I'm looking to spend about $12,000-13,000 maximum.

So would you guys suggest a 4th generation style: 1993-1997? I know I could get a really bad@$$ car for 12 or 13 grand in that year range or should I get a newer one but it also would probably not be AS nice. Also would a WS6 be out of the question for me taking into mind my price range? I really LOVE the WS6's.

Thanks guys...

12 - 13K is not out at all of the question for a '95-'97 LT1-powered WS6. A '98-'02 WS6 would most likely have high miles for that price range.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

You could find a nice 98-99 LS1 for that price range. Jay sold a mint 01 WS6 for like 16 I think. Granted it was worth more, but that's just an idea. The 98-99's go for cheaper. I think they have a worse intake or something. A WS6 is possible. I think the 97's are sharp, the 98's are nice too. But I noticed a trend in looking for an f-body, the Firebirds were always more $$. You could get a nice LS1 SS in your price range, easily.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

You may be able to get a 98 for that you will just have to shop around. Remember if you buy a 97 to get the performance up to a 98 you would have to put in alot of modifications. You will do away with the infamous optispark problems and I think changeing the wires and plugs are easyer (by a little bit).

It totaly depends on what you want, for me I bought a 94 formula firebird fairly stock for 8.5k canadian (could have prob gone lower I made that offer and he acepted right off I was like...). It had all options for that model and only 86k kilometers on the clock never winter driven (but your in calafornia so not a prob for you ) Don't by the first car you see drive a few so you can compair them all so you can accuretly choose. If something seems odd about one then the other ask and maybe its a indication to walk away from a deal.

In the end be happy with your choice and dont comprimize because you NEED one. Remember prices come down in other states as winter aproches...
        94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

For around 10-13K your not really limited to anything. Just shop around and youll end up finding what you want. I got my 99 Trans Am with only 34,000 miles on it a month ago. And it has the WS6 hood with the ram air, borla exhaust, 18s tinted windows and a few other goodies all for $11,000. Keep searching and you'll find what you want. Check your local papers, eBay, autotrader, etc. Also try to buy from a private owner. Dealerships are about 2000-3000$ overpriced. Good luck.

1999 Trans Am A4
          Suncoast WS6 hood and Ram Air, Borla, UD pully, MAF, Hotchkis SFC's and STB, Eibach Sportlines, 18" Privat Fahrens, and Zaino of course

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.

Superman: your trans am is awesome!

By the way: raroz28...you said I could get a SS camaro like around a 1998 or 1999 easily in my price range. Wouldn't this car have a lot of miles on it if it was in my price range? I was under the impression that 98-99 SS Camaro's would be at least around 16,000

Comment

Originally posted by 70formula400
              Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.

Superman: your trans am is awesome!

By the way: raroz28...you said I could get a SS camaro like around a 1998 or 1999 easily in my price range. Wouldn't this car have a lot of miles on it if it was in my price range? I was under the impression that 98-99 SS Camaro's would be at least around 16,000
              well... I looked at a few 98's. One was a 98 SS, 6 spd, with t-tops, for 9000. Had around 80k. I called and called on it, no answer. So I drove out there and the guy just came out and said it sold the day it was listed.

That was the only SS I looked at, the rest were z28's for like 10-11k. The 98 body style didn't do it for me. If I could have gotten an SS, I'd take it. But if I had to settle for the z28, I was going with the LT1 body style.

Think about it... I paid 6500 for a mint 97 with t tops, 6 spd, and 75K on the clock. I would hope you could get one year newer for twice the price.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
              X