In-line fuses on pop-up headlights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-line fuses on pop-up headlights?

I'm hoping someone can answer a semi-technical question. In an attempt to discover (and correct) the reason for a slowly discharging battery on his McLaren Mustang, my brother sought the advice of knowledgeable persons in a discussion board. One responded as follows:

"Actually, I would tend to check the connection at the fuse, where the 'metal contacts' come in contact with the fuse. I have seen many over the years that have gone 'green' and literally disintegrated - or formed enough of the green patina to break the connectivity between the wire and the fuse. This becomes even more pronounced over the years.

""On the 'Firebirds' there is an interesting twist on this story, but I don't think it applies to Mustangs ( errrmm.. McLarens ). On the Firebirds, the circuit that powers the pop-up lights has a 'hidden' or 'inline' fuse.

"This is not like a normal fuse that you simply swap out and replace. The fuse is embedded INSIDE the wire. When it blows there is no physical evidence to show you that a fuse has blown - other than the fact that your headlamps no longer go up or down. I had searched the entire circuit, volt testing the whole thing and I could not figure out what had gone wrong. The motors for the pop-up lamps worked, the circuit for the switch was
    working, etc., etc. I finally gave up as I had exhausted every possible thing that could be affecting the electricity to the headlights. So I figured I would take it in to a Pontiac dealer and let them solve it.

"Within one minute the guy identified the hidden inline fuse that had blown. He simply cut the wire and spliced in a 'normal' fuse link at that point and my headlights returned to life. This is a great hint for anyone who spots a Firebird being sold cheap because their headlights have given up the ghost and they can't figure out how to solve it."

Does anyone know if pop-up headlights on Firebirds have these embedded inline fuses? Thanks for your help.
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.
Working...
X