Slow death of water pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow death of water pump

Well I traded my son the Z-28, for his VW Corado a number of years ago.....but I still get to work on it when it dies.

I replaced the water pump about 80k/6years ago with one from Pep Boys. A couple of years ago the heater core started leaking, so it was by-passed. Last summer my son complained about over heating in the Tampa traffic, so we added the manual fans switch, and finally last week it blew a radiator hose from over heating.

Replaced the hose, only to have it over heat within a half mile or a few minutes of idle.

Pulled the cover off the front of the pump, and the impeller vanes were gone, and now the impeller spun freely on the shaft. Obviously the vanes were gone last summer, and the centrifugal force of the spinning impeller moved coolant until it also failed. Something to look at when trying to figure out a overheat problem.

I've gotten a new pump from NAPA, removed the tube elbows for the heater connections, drilled and tapped them for 1/2" & 3/8" plugs, and set the 3/16" plastic elbow in the weep hole for the hose attachment to save the opti.

Currently cleaning the insides of the opti-spark before putting all back together again.

See ja!
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.
Working...
X