Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened....

My LT1 finally spun a bearing!

No I'm not excited about it, but the car has been down on power and a bit noisy. The oil pressure has been low so I decided to drop the pan yesterday to see what was going on in there, thinking maybe the oil pump pickup came loose or something.

Nope, sure enough the #6 rod bearing was spun. Can you tell?

Pretty strange since the car started and rain fine, aside from the low oil pressure.

I'm going to pull the engine in a few minutes here as soon as my girl leaves, I've already got it disconnected from the mounts. Going to drain the coolant so I can get the radiator and fans out of there then pull it from the top, leaving the tranny in the tunnel.

I will be getting the block hot tanked and I have got another LT1 crank (not a fan of machined cranks) and a new rod for #6.

I am replacing the cam, main and rod bearings and piston rings and hoping that it will be good to last me some more high rev miles. I have taken this thing up to 7K on many occasions and it finally had enough. I wish I had the cash and a good deal to put a stroker kit in.

As some of you guys might remember, back in 2007 I put on a set of ported and polished heads. The entire top end is brand new including the heads, springs, pushrods, guideplates, rockers, optispark from 2009, and timing chain.... The only thing on the engine that was factory was the bottom end and that will all change in the next few days.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Working...
X