NFB - Computer processor question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, sorry Jeff, there aren't
    The only Pentium M we can test is the 2 GHZ one I have...until we find more benchmarks. I just ran 3DMark2005 and got 1500 on the dot. Of course, we can't compare that mark with the charts because they're using the top of the line Geforce 6800.

The CPU test shows 3700 marks for the Pentium M. Here's the quick link to compare http://www23.tomshardware.com/index....l2=18&chart=19
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

to settle the debate... a Pentium M 1.7ghz is around the same speed as a Pentium 4 2.8ghz. When it comes to something like applications... the difference is negligible. I dont think intel sells their pentium 4-M line anymore and just went straight with the pentium M.

desktop = Pentium 4 and Pentium D
      mobile = Pentium M
      mobile tank = Pentium 4

that simple...

Comment

Jeff, for an exact comparison of the 2.0 P M vs the rest, I found these with the same score in the CPU test:
        CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 2211 MHz
        GPU: ATI RADEON X600, 398 MHz / 297 MHz

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 2203 MHz
        GPU: ATI RADEON X800 XT, 499 MHz / 499 MHz

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3601 MHz
        GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, 441 MHz / 1174 MHz

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 2010 MHz
        GPU: ATI RADEON X800 XT, N/A / N/A

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3240 MHz
        GPU: ATI RADEON X800 XT, 535 MHz / 585 MHz

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3008 MHz
        GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6800, 351 MHz / 999 MHz
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

2.13 GHz Pentium M 770, 1GB of DDR2-533, NVIDIA Go 6800 Ultra graphics card
          3DMark2005 @ 1024 X 768 = 5122
          3DMark2003 @ 1024 X 768 = 11733

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/2...s-gen2-07.html

-----------------------

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20...att-pc-02.html
          "As it stands today, the Pentium M is inferior to a Pentium 4 in many cases. It is true that the Pentium M architecture is much more efficient than the Pentium 4, requiring much lower clock speeds to reach high performance levels. But the Pentium M gives up a lot in the area of clock speed - even the fastest Pentium M currently available, the 770 model running at 2.13 GHz, is unable to stand up to a fast 3.2 GHz Pentium 4. "

The Pentium M does not have SSE3 instruction set or Hyperthready. "the Pentium M is a direct descendant of the Pentium III processor, which predates HT."

Here are Pentium 4 and Pentium M on the same chart.
          http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20...att-pc-18.html

"With clock speeds that currently range as high as 2.13 GHz, the Dothan-based Pentium M with 2MB L2 cache offers the kind of performance we expect from a modern system. Depending on the application in question, the mobile processor offers performance comparable to a Pentium 4 running between 3 and 3.2 GHz."

"The Pentium M doesn't do so well in the synthetic applications. However, those don't necessarily mirror performance in real-world scenarios. Indeed, when paired with a GeForce 6800 GT, our Pentium M ran current 3D games such as Doom 3 or Far Cry just as well as a fast Athlon 64 or Pentium 4. "

---------------------------------------

I'm thinking that I really don't need hyperthreading because I don't do 2 CPU crunching things at the same time. If I'm running CAD, I'm not doing anything else except e-mail or surfing.

However, I think my CAD software (Solid Edge by Unigraphics Solution) is now supporting hyperthreading. www.solidedge.com
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

If performance in CAD is your primary concern, remember that a laptop of any processor varierty will have a much lower I/O throughput than any desktop. The disks in a laptop are slow and small(physically). They cannot dissipate enough heat to perform as well as desktop models. Since your CAD files are going to be fairly large, you might want to consider an external USB2 or Firewire hard disk. Something in the 7200 - 10000 RPM variety. Your two areas of concern should be video and disk. I think that either of the processors would be fine in real life. And living with an M is much better than a 4 if you are mobile. Think battery life and heat, the last P4 laptop I had was a space heater!! $0.02

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
            95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
            Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LT1
              If performance in CAD is your primary concern, remember that a laptop of any processor varierty will have a much lower I/O throughput than any desktop. The disks in a laptop are slow and small(physically). They cannot dissipate enough heat to perform as well as desktop models. Since your CAD files are going to be fairly large, you might want to consider an external USB2 or Firewire hard disk. Something in the 7200 - 10000 RPM variety. Your two areas of concern should be video and disk. I think that either of the processors would be fine in real life. And living with an M is much better than a 4 if you are mobile. Think battery life and heat, the last P4 laptop I had was a space heater!! $0.02

-Paul
              Yea I've come to the same conclusion. I had already planned on a 7200 rpm hard drive in the notebook. I think it would be faster than an external USB 2.0 hard drive of any speed. I bought one for my daughters notebook to try and speed it up. She doesn't do much except surf and word so it didn't help that much. But I'm sure it would me.

I've learned a lot during the coarse of this thread. This has been good. Thanks guys.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I've learned a lot too, as I never benchmarked P4 vs. P M head to head.

A couple thoughts:
                I'm running a 7200 RPM laptop HDD and it's pretty quick...but nothing that special. It's noticably faster than my other laptop with a 4200 HDD though.

That Dell laptop looks pretty nice and extremely powerful. It's actually a few bucks cheaper than the one I bought too. The only difference is that it's almost 9 lbs. My other laptop is 8 lbs and heavy enough. I guess if you're a frequent traveler, or are carrying 2 laptops, it becomes a PITA to haul around.
                Jeff, in your case, using a docking station frequently, I think that Dell laptop is perfect!

I wish I new more about "Hyperthreading." From my standpoint, I can't see how it can improve multi-tasking by THAT much. When handling multiple processes, the OS CPU scheduler generally uses round robin, shortest job first, first come first serve, etc. Does hyperthreading speed up the time to switch between multiple threads in different processes, or multiple threads within the same process?
                Does hyperthreading actually let the CPU execute more than 1 thread at a time, like multiple CPUs? If so, that may not be useful in some cases, as mutexes and semaphores are used to protect the data if 2 or more threads change and are dependent on the same data. Thus, a thread cannot be executed until another thread has completed computation in this scenario. Maybe I'll do more research to see how much it really helps.

Comment

Working...
                X