Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nfb: stop and think, just for a min. or two.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nfb: stop and think, just for a min. or two.......

you worked hard all your life, you never had the oportunities than many middle income Americans had, not all your fault...it just turned out that way, you family has always been that way and you know no different.....

you work two jobs, daytime as a city clean up worker or whatever, nightime on Burbon St. as a dishwasher in a nice little corner raw bar.....

you have a small, clean, well kept house, your wife baby sits during the day for the folks kids that work in the big city.....to make extra bucks...

you have two young children, both in elementary and middle school...

you have a little over a 1000 bucks or so in savings, thats all you could put there, trying to make ends meet week to week.....because you care about the health of your kids, and you have no health insurance, or house insurance....you just cant afford it...you would like it....you just cant....

yes, you live in New Orleans......why? thats where your family has lived since day one..... you know no different.... you would'nt begin to know how to move someplace else.......

Katrina..........

you are standing there, if your'e lucky, with your wife, two kids, and your wallet in your back pocket.....everything else is gone..... its all gone.....everything you have worked for all your married life as a father and husband....... its gone......

what do you do?

__________________________________________________ _____

I know: "it was thier choice to live there", "they should have gone back to school"..... "they should have made better back up arrangements".......

yada yada.....

it's easy to say.........but just think about it...

__________________________________________________ ______

the worst weather disaster to hit the U.S. ever.

There are hundreds, thousands of people down there just like the one i described up top here......

when the time comes folks, lets dig in our pockets and whatever else we can do to save the rest of thier lives............. give up that next weekend at the beach.... or put off that long tube header mod for 4 more months......

ive been thru quite a few disasters in my life, even some of my own, last year, my organization scrambled all over to help save wolfdogs and support the rebuilding of a sanctuary down there.....along with the owners... every person in every walk of life can help, no donation, no act of kindness is too small......

just my 2 centavos.....

peace my friends.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Ken, where can you donate?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      Ken, where can you donate?
      https://secure4.salvationarmy.org/do...SN-hurricane05
      https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

Trust me...I've been doing nothing but thinking about this...

My cousin and her husband live and work in NO. Haven't heard from them yet...Hope they're ok...

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
      '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
      Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

80% of New Orleans is covered in water

To be added soon-Firebird Graphic

Comment

80% of Mississippi is without power. Yes, 80% of the entire state. And it could take months to get it all back up.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Things like this make what happenend to me last year seem trivial by comparison. The place will never be the same.

Comment

I dont think they will repair the damage. There is just too much and the population is not that wealthy.

Think about it... months without power. Who can sit around for months without any electricity? People are going to leave and find somewhere else to live.

Also think about this... Even if your home was not completely obliterated, what kind of condition will it be in after it sits under water for weeks or months? The foundation will likely be compromised. The drywall will all be shot, the wood will be warped and soggy, mold will grow...

The sewers will all be filled with silt. It could take months to get the sanitary sewer back up and running.

I'm guessing they will just block off the highways to the areas worst hit and make them parkland in memorium of those who lost their lives in Katrina.

What a disaster. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                I dont think they will repair the damage. There is just too much and the population is not that wealthy.

Think about it... months without power. Who can sit around for months without any electricity? People are going to leave and find somewhere else to live.

Also think about this... Even if your home was not completely obliterated, what kind of condition will it be in after it sits under water for weeks or months? The foundation will likely be compromised. The drywall will all be shot, the wood will be warped and soggy, mold will grow...

The sewers will all be filled with silt. It could take months to get the sanitary sewer back up and running.

I'm guessing they will just block off the highways to the areas worst hit and make them parkland in memorium of those who lost their lives in Katrina.

What a disaster. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

And think about this....even if your house was livable, by some miracle...why would you want to live surrounded by all the destruction? I saw what Ivan did to Pensacola...it's been almost a year and my mom, who still lives there, is about to rip her hair out, ready to move out. Pensacola is pristine compared to what I've been seeing in New Orleans and Gulfport. I get the creeps just thinking about it.

2001 Camaro V6, stock

Comment

When I lived in homestead through Andrew. I can remember most of south Miami/ Homestead looked like it got carpet bombed. It took several years for my area to get back on its feet. After all the pictures on TV, I have definitely realized my life isn't as bad as might have thought.
                  96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

I have lived there all my life. It is no different than living in a place that has Tornadoes. It is something that you try not to think about on a daily basis.

In 1965 my parents lost everything we had to Hurricane Betsy. But we survived and rebuilt. In 1969 my relatives on the the Mississippi Gulf coast (Pass Christian) lost everything, but they rebuilt it. Some of them lived with us for over a year while their homes were built.

It is now 2005 and I am pretty sure my house will be a total loss, and my relatives in Mississippi are in the same boat. Will I go back and rebuild? Probably. Will I continue to live there for the rest of my life? Probably not.

Sorry for rambling but as I sit here typing this I am forced to face the reality that my life as I new it will never be the same. At the age of 45 I feel like a Refugee. My job now is to protect and provide for my family as best I can.
                    Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

Barry,
                      How are you and your family making out down there? Anything we can do to help?
                      96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Well we are for the most part pretty well off. I am at a relatives house so my basic needs are met. I will probably be here another week or so then relocate to Houston when my jobs says to come.

I actually for the most part feel lucky right now because If I had not left when I did I would be in serious trouble. My mother is on Dialysis, and I have a sister in law who just started Chemotherapy last week. I brought them as well as my mother in law with me.

My cousin is a nurse so I was able to get my mother her treatments and we are making arrangments for my sister in law to start her treatments so the big things are being addressed.

Just pray that we can recover from this.
                        Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

My fire department is trying to see if we can go down there to help. I should know something today or tomorrow. So hopefully we'll get down there and try to do what ever we can to help.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
                          2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

it tore me up watching the gov. of LA's voice start to break up and tears forming in her eyes.........

this is so terrible, its beyond words.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyerPoot
                              it's been almost a year and my mom, who still lives there, is about to rip her hair out, ready to move out. .
                              And at the same time, my dumb@ss ex-wife moves up there this past May. Just in time to have the house damaged from the storm that went through there just a month ago. I tried to tell her, but you know how that goes. My opinion means squat.

Comment

Working...
                              X