Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFB: After 3 years at my old Job, in a new field!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: After 3 years at my old Job, in a new field!

Yes. After 3 years at a crappy car wash, I am doing new work. I liked the job for a while, and the guys I worked with were awesome. But the economy got bad, the owner jacked up the price to $6 for the cheapest wash, and the place has been dead for the past year. Tips went down the tubes, he eliminated our 401k, 3 years no raise, and I've been sent home so much that in a 35 hour scheduled week I'd work 12-17. I was sinking fast.

My dad has a business, building for pulte homes (maybe you guys heard of it?). He calls me up at 8 am, "Hey I just fired two guys, I need you to work, you in?"

I tell him yeah, and that's it. Called my boss yesterday, i told him I got a new job and they need me to start today and they'll need me tues., which was a day scheduled for the wash, which btw, the owner sent them home at around 10 am today (i think) because it was cloudy and expected to rain. Good thing I didn't go. Waste of my time. That guy was messing with my livelyhood, he knows I bought a car and a bike. Not hard to pay a guy 7/hour for 35 hour weeks. Once in a while, fine, but not everyday, ya know? If he can't be there for me, I can't be there when he needs me. Can't work that way. I gotta get paid, not just when he does.

This new job is great. No on people, no crappy customers, no worrying about the owner coming in grumpy because his biz is slow, and not to mention $5 more/hour. I can't complain. Fresh air, hard work, days go by quick, get to sit down and eat and not be bothered with customers. I'm happy.

Just had to share.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Congrats on the upward move. I was a carpenter for several years before I severly injured my knee playing hockey two years back. I loved it. I still do it on the side for cash. I did some framing, some exterior, but I'm a finish carpenter by trade. What will you mostly be doing?
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Congrats on the new job. Can't go wrong with trying something different and raking in an extra $5 an hour as your doing it.

I find it funny that you have the same bitterness towards customers as I have. I remember working at a grocery store in a richer (snobby) area for almost a year in high school...man was I glad the day I just walked out

Congrats again and good luck with the new job
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Thanks guys.

We do the framing and stuff. Right now I'm a laborer, which is why I'm only making 12/hour. I have a little experience from when I was younger and my dad would make me work all day with him, when he had no crew. He'd tell me and my bro to come with him. Not to mention he put an addition on our house a few years ago and it was mostly just me and him, so I could do headers, and walls, just small stuff like that. I'm learning a lot though, the air is fresh, I'm liking it so far. Not to mention we can carpool a few days outta the week, when I don't have school. So I save a ton on gas, it's about 25 minutes away.

95, customers suck man, not all, but most. It's too bad that a few can kill it for everybody. You can be nice up until you get the one a-hole, then your attitude changes. I wouldn't even talk to customers after a couple weeks there. Just walk up, straight face, don't even say hi.

Convo's would be like

"Hi, how ya doin?"

"Cheapest you got."

Take their money, and say thanks, take car, and they just roll up their window. Screw 'em.

I already have 20 hours this week. Pretty cool, compared to getting 15/week before.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Nice, man. Nothing wrong with starting off as a laborer. It's good for the soul.

I miss working outdoors this time of year... especially coming up on Fall. When the Fall rolled around, I always requested jobs like framing decks, doing clapboard siding, rake moulding, etc... Anything to get me outside (Of course, I don't miss it in the heat of the summer or in January, but you have to take the bad with the good). I envy you. Good luck.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Congrats on new job. Sounds like a big step up, both with the money and the job satisfaction.

*Pam*

2002 Firebird 3.8 A/T - all stock
            1998 Ford Contour SVT #1578 of 6535

Comment

Working...
            X