No announcement yet.

NFB: Want a doomsday oil crash article?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Want a doomsday oil crash article?

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

WOW.....................................

The scariest thing is, their economics seem pretty solid. There is no question that the downside of the bell curve of oil production is going to be a RUTHLESS time to be alive... I don't know how accurate their facts and figures are (are we already past the "peak"?), but the concepts behind their points are concrete.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

However, there are other solutions..............

http://www.fe.doe.gov/programs/reser.../40010-373.pdf

Comment

Lots of interesting stuff in there. Reasonable points. Downright scary to think about... then...

BUY OUR BOOKS!!!!

Sorry but I can't take altrustic "spread the word and help yourself" readings seriously if you try to sell me something at the end of your pitch.

There are good points there. And I do think the days of $1.50 gallons of gas are long gone now.

But it's not quite enough to get me to live off the grid in the middle of nowhere anytime soon.

Especially since I just got the loudmouth II and lid on my car. Lol.

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
      http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

WOW.....................................

The scariest thing is, their economics seem pretty solid. There is no question that the downside of the bell curve of oil production is going to be a RUTHLESS time to be alive... I don't know how accurate their facts and figures are (are we already past the "peak"?), but the concepts behind their points are concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        However, there are other solutions..............

http://www.fe.doe.gov/programs/reser.../40010-373.pdf
        No, we need to stop using oil altogether...

There are three forms of energy that we should be ashamed of ourselves for under-utilizing...

nuclear power, solar power, and ALCOHOL...

The day that cars run on the same stuff that frat boys do will be ingenious... think about it... you can ferment ANYTHING... wheat, corn, potatoes...
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

I believe that a relatively newer technology, extracting oil from oil sands in Canada may have increased the peak a bit. They estimate 1.7 trillion barrels that can be extracted. Definitely not going to solve anything, just extend "the end"...potentially of course.
          http://www.oilsandsdiscovery.com/oil...ory/story.html
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

*Puts in Mad Max DVD*

*Takes notes*

Comment

i hear ya man.... we just got a gas crunch....$3.15 for 93.... the chevelle is now parked lol
              1967 Camaro "Project"
              1972 Chevelle "454"
              1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

There are three forms of energy that we should be ashamed of ourselves for under-utilizing...

The day that cars run on the same stuff that frat boys do will be ingenious... think about it... you can ferment ANYTHING... wheat, corn, potatoes...

I Agree, we have to stop burning stuff altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  I Agree, we have to stop burning stuff altogether.
                  bearded-recumbant-bike-riding-tree-hugging-hippie-liberal!

Havent you heard yet? When we run out of gas a bunch of extra terrestrials are going to visit our planet and give us a free source of clean new unlimited energy.

But seriously, I do wonder sometimes if my kids will ever drive a gasoline powered V8 automobile. Will they be extinct in 10 years?
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                    bearded-recumbant-bike-riding-tree-hugging-hippie-liberal!
                    Hey.... not quite. I shaved my beard a couple of years ago.

Somehow I knew aliens were going to be a part of this topic. Funny thing is that it's pretty obvious with folks griping about fuel prices, they aren't accustomed to running high octane race gas. That makes pump gas appear to be a bargain. makes me wonder how high that stuff is gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by raptorjesus
                      *Puts in Mad Max DVD*

*Takes notes*
                      Haha... I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

My Cousin is down in Marrietta, Georgia, just outside of Atlanta. He said there was some kind of gas scare down there yesterday. Cars were lined up by the tens of dozens at the pumps... Cops were at some of the big gas stations preventing fights... An some of the gas stations jacked their prices up as high as $5.00 a gallon!

I'm sure Chris could shed some light on this...
                        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

by 2020.... we could be using very little oil at all..........

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttt

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Okay, I'll say it again.

Lovely idea. Not bad. BUT . . . it takes far more energy to produce the alcohol than is obtained from it. The distillation process ALONE (probably fueled by petroleum) uses substantial amounts of energy, not to mention the energy needed to produce and transport the "stuff" to be fermented.

Solar?

A quick check online at www.solarenergy.com finds a company called BP Solar in Linthicum, Maryland, offering solar panels that it claims are "the most efficient Photovoltaic Modules commercially available." Its model BP-275 panel costs $456, weighs 16.5 pounds, has an area of 6.8 square feet, and a maximum output of 75 watts.

One horsepower is equivalent to 750 watts. To power a 50-horsepower motor would require the use of 500 solar panels weighing 8250 pounds, occupying an area of 3400 square feet, and costing $228,000! And it wouldn’t work at night or on cloudy days.

This explains why we don’t have solar-powered cars.

How about hydrogen?

Hydrogen is produced commercially in a methane-steam reaction. Methane is natural gas, a "fossil" fuel. A lot of (probably petroleum) energy is required to produce the steam. And the byproduct of the reaction is carbon dioxide (the "pollutant" much-feared by global warming calamatarians).

Make hydrogen from water? Nonsense! Water is such a stabile molecule (making it good for among other things, drinking and fire suppression) that it requires ENORMOUS amounts of energy to split the molecule into its components.

This doesn't even begin to address the problems regarding hydrogen storage. Imagine having one (or more) 10,000 pounds per square inch tanks of hydrogen gas in your car . . . during an accident (why do you think methane-powered buses have their tanks on top of the bus?). Ever see a high-pressure tank that has exploded? I have. And that was only at 3,000 psi. No thanks.

The nice thing about liquid fuels during an accident is that they are not pressurized.

Nuclear? I'm all for it.

But the best, immediate solution is to exploit our vast oil shale deposits that contain enough oil to last us 270 years at current rates of consumption, not to mention the oil that is available by more "conventional" means.

Here endeth the lesson.
                            R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

distilling alcohol doesn't use as much energy as refining oil does

Comment

Working...
                              X