Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, you think we're running out of energy, do you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, you think we're running out of energy, do you?

F-buds, I'm 55 years old. And I'll bet that, like me, your school teachers taught you that all our oil and natural gas (i.e., methane) was the result of a whole lotta dinosaurs conveniently dying in more or less the same place just so the evolutionary descendents of a bunch of insignificant rodents could ride around in cars.

And since there ain't no more dinosaurs, we're soon (woe is us!) just gonna hafta start using our feet again and progress into the 18th Century.

Know what? It's not true.

For those who have followed it, Jay and I have been having a discussion more or less on this topic.

I have pointed out that according to the Department of Energy, America has -- right now, today -- 270 years-worth of oil available to us in oil shale deposits. All we need do is to start using them. The price wasn't right 25 years ago, but it is today.

Well but, even so, we have to conserve it, right? I mean, no more dinosaurs.

Fact is, most of our available hydrocarbon fuel didn't come from plants or animals.

How do I know this?

The four largest planets in our solar system (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune) have atmospheres comprised largely of methane. Have there ever been dinosaurs on those planets? Not a chance.

It would seem, then, that methane, at least, does not require a biological source. Where did it come from? I don't know, but I do know that it did not come from decaying velociraptors.

Well, so what? How does that help us?

Take a look at this article from the Department of Energy. Let me quote it:

"Worldwide, estimates of the natural gas potential of methane hydrate approach 400 million trillion cubic feet -- a staggering figure compared to the 5,500 trillion cubic feet that make up the world's currently proven gas reserves."

If you're keeping score, that's 72 thousand times current reserves, a virtually inexhaustible supply.

It is there for the taking.

Anybody feel better now?
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington

It would seem, then, that methane, at least, does not require a biological source. Where did it come from?

Ken.... after a hearty lunch from Taco Bell.

Comment

What you seems to miss from all your research is how 'BAD' it is on the environment to create these refineries in such areas as alaska. Even though we could be in and out w/out a trace.

It has been found that the refineries have actually helped life... i read an article that the heat from the pipe lines caused an abundance of sea creatures in the area (by the pipeline). But then the environmentalists would probably COMPLAIN when the rig was out of oil and had to be taken down. Oh!, the devistation that would be caused!!!
      99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

interesting read roger. thanks for the link.

Joe, lmao
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320

Leave it to you to state the obvious.
          R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
            Take a look at this article from the Department of Energy.
            Interesting read...appreciate you sharing it.
            black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Great article, Roger. I passed it along to a few family members and friends that would find it interesting.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
              X