not a pretty site, more on "down south"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not a pretty site, more on "down south"

I know the people are more important, I know some of you non animal folks won't understand or start posting "forget the pets...get the people"..... well folks, we cant forget the animals...God placed the responsibility on the human to care for the domestic creatures.... there are tons of trained rescue people down there caring for the people, we, the different animal rescue operations from all over the U.S. are trying to help the animals, regardless of breed or type.

To most animal owners, the animal is part of the family.....the loss of a pet is no. 3 on the the "stress and depression list" for humans..... not to mention, the suffering going on.....that will haunt that human the rest of thier life....

This is an email my wife got from a person in her organization..... this is whats going on down there:

Below email is from of the Intake Assistants.

Intake Coordinator - GRREAT
    (http://www.grreat.org)

I volunteered at the HSUS (The Humane Society of the United States) for two days, answering the phones at their Hurricane Call Center.

I cannot tell you the heartbreaking stories I had to listen to every day. Almost every call was from people who had left their animals behind in their homes. Many folks left cats and dogs locked in their homes in New Orleans, thinking they would be back to get them, now they are being told it might be 4 weeks before they can get back.

Many dogs were locked or tied up on porches and cats were left in attics. Some people left food and water, but no more than a weeks worth. Some had been left for 10 days already, in hot closed up homes with no rescue in sight. People are frustrated because they are not being allowed back into the area.

People were calling saying their elderly parents refused to leave their animals, one woman called today ing that her father was on the roof of her home with 7 dogs, he refused to leave them and the Rescue Crew only left him human food and refused to take the dogs when he asked them to save him and the dogs.

One woman lost 13 horses, one lady had 5 Rotties including a 3 month old puppy that she left in a crate and a very sick 2yr old dog with heartworm that needed treatment, one man had tied his two dogs to the front porch and left notes tied round their necks, there was a lady ing because her elderly blind cat was missing. None of these animals are chipped and most do not have collars or ID on them..the list goes on and on, every call with people desperate to get their pets rescued, they have been given no information, the numbers they call are all busy. The Shelters are overwhelmed down there.

People are begging Rescue Volunteers to break down doors, windows, anything to be able to get in and save their animals. Its a truly nightmare situation, often I was the first "live" person they had spoken to since the Hurricane, they had not been able to reach any other Rescues or get information.

It will take a long time before a proper "Disaster Relief" system for the pets is set up I think, many people were offering foster homes and donations of food, one company from CT called and said they had 100 tons of dog/cat food and they wanted to drive down there and deliver it.

It has turned into a much bigger disaster than anyone could have imagined. It will take a long time to get many dogs and cats, if they survive, reunited with their owners. Those voices on the end of the phones will haunt me for a long time.

Jane

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Yep, they just showed on CNN that the dogs that actually managed to escape their homes are now wandering around in packs searching for food. Hopefully these animals are smart enough to not drink the standing water in New Orleans.

Comment

I was lucky in that we were able to bring our pet with us. We have been boarding her at a exorbitant price at a local kennel. I have recieved word that a local animal rescue shelter will take her in until we get settled and can pick her up.
      Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

I understand. As an animal lover I find it heartbreaking.
        2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

There is no plan by no one or organization that is capable to deal with the sheer amount of animals displaced. The only thing that can be done is save the animals that can be saved (as allowed by the Nat. Grd. as they probably will not allow recue of animals as they're behind people, and property on the list of to do's) , and pray.

I hate to say it but the only way to save an animal in the event of an hurricane is to have a plan prepared, for their care. Trying to rescue the animals after the fact is way too late
          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
          pics and info

Comment

I couldn't imagine leaving my boy (Dalmation) behind, but I guess I do not have the ability to even pretend to know what what was going on in those people's heads when they were panicking. I don't have any kids and I am single, so grabbing my dog would have been automatic. But, I guess on some level, I can understand the decisions by those who had families, to temporarily leave their pets behind in order to focus on getting their family out alive. I mean my boy would have been in my arms no matter what, but I guess a 2 year old little girl would just take precedence.

Comment

thanks for the thread Ken ... you are so right when you say, " God placed the responsibility on the human to care for the domestic creatures." I just wish people would extend that thinking to all the animals on this planet. Caring about the enivornment isn't just about politics or business interests but giving the wolves large open space to hunt..... bears clean rivers to eat and play ... clear skies so the hawks can fly... and most importantly all of the above for us to enjoy. I saw pictures on TV of poor doggies swimming in that junk ... on porches happy to see people.
              97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
              In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

Here are a couple of sites trying to help.

http://noahswish.org/Hurricane%20Katrina.htm

http://hsus.org/

Comment

Working...
                X