to be honest with you guys..cai....gto 05

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to be honest with you guys..cai....gto 05

i studied, read up on the gto forum, read the "got my cai...awesome" posts.....

i wouldnt post this there.....but i think they wasted thier money.

for one, a flat filter flows better than a cone filter, thats a given in the cfm world......

the 05 airbox draws cold air, around the head light and the fender well.... thats where the inlets are. when you buy the cai for the 05 goat, you get the snorkle from some, with no isolation from the engine compartment: ie: hot air intake...... the better aftermarket ones have a "hood" that isolates it and has it draw air from the same dern place the o.e. box does.

tonight, i did my first mod. i got my k&n replacement filter (the just came out with it for the ls2). i removed the air box and drilled addtional holes in strategic places where the cold air is available, they are 1/4" diameter holes... then i installed the new k&n.

i think its as good if not better than any cai for this car, just my 2 centavos .........

on wit da show......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

I'm not familiar with what the GTO looks like under the hood... could you snap a few pics if you get time? Just curious to see how the intake all works...

Thanks!
    1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
    370 RWHP / 352 TQ
    CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

Comment

Umm, pretty sure there is no such thing as 2 centavos

Smallest they make is 5 centavos, which is only 0.004626715 U.S. dollars. So your 2 centavo's don't add up to much

Please don't hurt me
      Richard Harvey Jr.
      '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

hot rodding at it's core is ingenuity and solutions created by the guy at home versus ordering something premade
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by TruckMuddr
          Umm, pretty sure there is no such thing as 2 centavos

Smallest they make is 5 centavos, which is only 0.004626715 U.S. dollars. So your 2 centavo's don't add up to much

Please don't hurt me
          there is 2 centavo's........ dont believe me.......bend over.............you can wear them..........

bwwahahahahha

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
            hot rodding at it's core is ingenuity and solutions created by the guy at home versus ordering something premade
            kinda like in 97...when we started drilling out the baffles in the slp ram air hoods.......LOL and taking the top of the air box (the shades)...

Comment

Originally posted by shadyphi
              I'm not familiar with what the GTO looks like under the hood... could you snap a few pics if you get time? Just curious to see how the intake all works...

Thanks!

will do. this weekend

Comment

I'm also interested in the GTO intake. Sounds like a great idea.

I just have a question on the K&N air filters. If they allow more air to pass through the filter, do they also allow more particles as well? I want to get one for the T/A, but this was something I've been meaning to ask. Thanks.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
                  I'm also interested in the GTO intake. Sounds like a great idea.

I just have a question on the K&N air filters. If they allow more air to pass through the filter, do they also allow more particles as well? I want to get one for the T/A, but this was something I've been meaning to ask. Thanks.
                  no, the surgical gauze used in combo with the fine red oil filters excellently...

ive used k & n filters on every single motor i've owned since the early 80's, including a few riding lawnmowers...! my 4 wheelers, you name it....

swear by em.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                    no, the surgical gauze used in combo with the fine red oil filters excellently...

ive used k & n filters on every single motor i've owned since the early 80's, including a few riding lawnmowers...! my 4 wheelers, you name it....

swear by em.
                    Awesome. Thanks. I just needed to hear a logical explination from someone other than a salesman. Appreciate it as always. I'll get one this weekend.
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
                      Awesome. Thanks. I just needed to hear a logical explination from someone other than a salesman. Appreciate it as always. I'll get one this weekend.
                      Definitely a good idea. The best part also is being able to reuse them. I just recently recharged my K&N...i was pretty surpised how clean it actually does get afterwards
                      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                        i studied, read up on the gto forum, read the "got my cai...awesome" posts.....

i wouldnt post this there.....but i think they wasted thier money.

for one, a flat filter flows better than a cone filter, thats a given in the cfm world......

the 05 airbox draws cold air, around the head light and the fender well.... thats where the inlets are. when you buy the cai for the 05 goat, you get the snorkle from some, with no isolation from the engine compartment: ie: hot air intake...... the better aftermarket ones have a "hood" that isolates it and has it draw air from the same dern place the o.e. box does.

tonight, i did my first mod. i got my k&n replacement filter (the just came out with it for the ls2). i removed the air box and drilled addtional holes in strategic places where the cold air is available, they are 1/4" diameter holes... then i installed the new k&n.

i think its as good if not better than any cai for this car, just my 2 centavos .........

on wit da show......

Always feels better to do things yourself the right way without having to pay some company a couple hundred for decreased performance.

I too have done a couple homemade CAI's in the past...the most recent on a 92 'bird with a 305 in it...it's a good feeling in the end
                        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                          Definitely a good idea. The best part also is being able to reuse them. I just recently recharged my K&N...i was pretty surpised how clean it actually does get afterwards
                          Yeah, I like the idea of having a "new" filter on tap just by cleaning the original. I don't put many miles on my T/A a year. Maybe 2K. I could almost get away with cleaning it every winter when I store it.

takes them a long time before they need to be cleaned..you'll see when you get the filter and instructions.. i used to clean mine on the Comp and the Hawk just because thats the first thing you saw when you opened the hood...right there in your face in the ram air box.
                          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                          17K Miles

Comment

Working...
                          X