Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More odd news: Man builds up 30,000 volts of electricity by walking and melts carpet!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More odd news: Man builds up 30,000 volts of electricity by walking and melts carpet!

Walking advertisement for the cotton industry

and I thought the dead cats as fuel was quite strange

Originally posted by Australian News
    Victorian authorities believe a man built up at least 30,000 volts of static electricity in his jacket simply by walking around the western Victorian city of Warrnambool yesterday.

The man left a trail of scorch marks and molten plastic behind him.

It was yesterday afternoon when Frank Clewer walked into a Warrnambool business and got his first shock.

"It sounded almost like a firecracker or something like that," he said.

"It was at the reception area. Within say, around five minutes, the carpet started to erupt," he said.

Burns the size of 10-cent pieces were left on the carpet where Mr Clewer had been standing.

The Country Fire Authority evacuated the building and those around it, fearing the power could cause larger electrical problems.

But Mr Clewer's worries continued when he got back in his car.

"I actually scorched a piece of plastic I had on the floor of the car," he said.

Scientist Karl Kruszelnicki says it is likely the electrical build-up was caused by a number of factors, such as the synthetic clothes the man was wearing.

"This poor guy has built up static electricity thanks to an unfortunate combination of insulating clothes that he's wearing, static, synthetic clothes, just walking along and he's just building up this static charge everywhere," Dr Kruszelnicki said.

"I've read of it but I've never heard of it here in Australia."

The CFA has Mr Clewer's jacket and says it is continuing to give off voltage.
    Print-friendy versionPrint Send to a friendEmail
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

It's not the voltage that can kill you, it's the amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      It's not the voltage that can kill you, it's the amps.
      Yes sir....and it doesn't take many amps to kill you...depending on whether it goes directly to your heart or not. If I remember correctly, it's something like 50-300 Joules can kill you.

That is a pretty crazy story though
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

what a ................shock.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
          what a ................shock.
          No doubt he got a charge out of life.

Comment

Once of the certifications I had to get where I work is on static electricity. I watched the instructor take a roll of masking tape and take off about a 1 foot long piece. He set it on top of a volt meter and it went up over 2500 volts just from the static of pealing it off the roll.

If the humidity goes below 30% in the lab they have to turn on an air ionizer. If it goes below 15% they have to stop work and get at least a foot away from anything electronic.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
              Once of the certifications I had to get where I work is on static electricity. I watched the instructor take a roll of masking tape and take off about a 1 foot long piece. He set it on top of a volt meter and it went up over 2500 volts just from the static of pealing it off the roll.

If the humidity goes below 30% in the lab they have to turn on an air ionizer. If it goes below 15% they have to stop work and get at least a foot away from anything electronic.
              Sounds like a revolting experience.

Comment

I think you guys made me a little sick with your puns... but WOW! He burned the carpet??

*Pam*

2002 Firebird 3.8 A/T - all stock
                1998 Ford Contour SVT #1578 of 6535

Comment

Originally posted by braindeadracefan
                  I think you guys made me a little sick with your puns... but WOW! He burned the carpet??

Oh, come on........ You know you are electrified by the whole thread.

Comment

Yep, only takes 7-10 milliamps to stop the human heart. Also it is very common for anywhere between 10,000 and 35,000 volts to build up from a human just walking around on carpet in dry weather. That is the spark you can see and hear discharge from your finger to the metal doorknob.

BTW, I am shocked at all of Joe's poor puns!

Comment

you guys are funny. and girls.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA

BTW, I am shocked at all of Joe's poor puns!
                        Hey, don't give me any static..... these puns are older than Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          Hey, don't give me any static..... these puns are older than Ken.
                          Uh oh! Wolfie's gonna get amped!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                            Uh oh! Wolfie's gonna get amped!

This thread has the potential for high tension.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                            '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                            Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

I'm sure it will go past the resistance of many, the puns will surge forward. So let's get this thing off the ground , eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X