Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Drives

Ok Y'all,

We live all over the country and all over the world and you know of hidden jewls of a road to cruise that no one else knows about. What are some of your most favorite drives. So please post up your favorites drives, roads, or cruises, and give us some ideas for the rest of us that cannot travel all the time, but are looking for ideas
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
    Ok Y'all,

We live all over the country and all over the world and you know of hidden jewls of a road to cruise that no one else knows about. What are some of your most favorite drives. So please post up your favorites drives, roads, or cruises, and give us some ideas for the rest of us that cannot travel all the time, but are looking for ideas
    Oh that's easy. The Blue Ridge Parkway.
    http://www.nps.gov/blri/
    http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Take Route 7 through Connecticut this time of year. New England in Autumn...

SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I'll go

Newport, RI - get to see some of the largest summer-home mansions in the world, Fort Adams, historical Thames street, panoramic view of Newport harbor, the Newport (Pell) bridge, Ocean drive along the New England Coast, Purgatory Chasm overlooking Second Beach, and finally looking from the reverse side of Second Beach at Sakonnet wildlife refuge looking at Second Beach and Pitureque St. Georges Cathedral (a private high school)

I start out by driving on washington Square, and start driving on the cobblestone -yes cobblestone - portion of upper Thames Street. There are many shoppes, typical of New Engand, and the usual shoppes for the drivein and cruise-ship tourists. This street was used in the film, Amistad. Getting to the end I follow traffic and at a light I get into the right lane of America's Cup avenue -south (The place to be in all of the USA if your a sailing fan). I get on to "Lower Thames" , recovering from the cobblestones on upper Thames This portion is more narrow (Town was founded in 1639 and the roads havent widend since then ) and there are a bazillion people. So while you, Idledown the road at 5mph, look at the shoppes and Femme Fataals aka college student from Salve Regina University (liberal arts for kids born with a silver spoon in their mouth) are always a nice shapely view . At the end of the nicer portion of lower Thames, take a right at the road across from the Shell station. Along here is a 2.5 mile long park, giving an unobstructed view along the waterfront. at the end I romp on the gas in preparation for the sharp left turn the road makes, then slwo down, then shortly the road makes another sharp left turn. At the stop sign, I make a right, and go down the road till I turn into fort adams entrance (Free admision to the park except between memorial and labor days).

I idle down the road, and a huge expanse of the harbor comes to my view. at the very end of the road/parking lot, I park and walk out to see the 2.5 mile long Newport brige (on the back of the RI quarter).

Get back to the car, and take a right at the entrance. I pass a 5 star restaruant/hotel (Ocean Cliff?) . and the road takes a sharp right , then immediately a shap left turn. Blammo I'm on ocean drive. Soon the Beavertail lighthouse (jamestown light - 2nd oldest in the country) comes into view across the bay on jamestown Island. I Go into Breton Point, and since it is a Saturday, I see nearly a 100 kites in the air, amazing.

A little secret and optional thing is to park, and walk behind the crumbling carriage house (There used to be a huge mansion owned by one of the people whom opend king tut's tomb and is said as a result of the curse the mansion caught fire, leaving only the carriage house) and notice a tower. I climb the tower and remeber it was told to me by the locals it was used for star gazing way back when

I continue along Ocean drive seening the coasline and I start to see huge pituresque houses. I ignore those and have a blast with the twisty road (when possible) . Near the end I pass several private beach clubs and veer a sharp right and immediatly take a sharp left following the road. Shortly I take another sharp left and I am on Bellvue, the road with the super-mansions. I pass the Marble house and go slow along the entire stretch passing the summer homes of America's Aristocracy of long days past.

I make a right on to Memorial blvd. and cruise down a long hill overlooking First beach (aka Easton's beach) go slow as the narc's always patrol for speeders along this popular revenue-generating stretch. as the road veers left, I conting going straight at the Atlantic Beach club, I go up a long road passing St. Georges and when I start going downhill again I take right on to the road at the sharp tun.

I park in the little parking lot for purgatory Chasm and walk up the path to a bridge and behold the view of Purgatory Chasm and the waves crashing into it. Walking out to the lege I see 2nd beach, all 2.0 miles of it, all the surfers, Sakonnet wildlife sanctuary at theend of the beach. on the other side I see sakonnet river mouth and Sakonnet point on the mainland. I go back to the car, go back to that sharp turn in the road and take a right throwng a few rev's to the beachgoers. I drive to the end a loop around the sakonnet wildlife sanctuary parking lot and see the Cliff with purgatory chasm, second beach, and the picturesqe St. Georges.

This is the path I usually give visitors, and they see just about everything that newport has to offer . Gots a couple more drives to share still I add pictures later
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
          http://www.nps.gov/blri/
          http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

Brother, you took the words right out of my mouth. The best drive I've been on.

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
            Take Route 7 through Connecticut this time of year. New England in Autumn...

is the one covered bridge the one in kent? also have u done the 202 and 109 routes?
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Since you don't have any from Cali, I'll give you a couple. Highway 299 between Redding and Arcata is a blast as long as you don't get stuck behind too many logging trucks. So is Highway 199 in Northern Cali and Oregon.

*Pam*

2002 Firebird 3.8 A/T - all stock
              1998 Ford Contour SVT #1578 of 6535

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                is the one covered bridge the one in kent? also have u done the 202 and 109 routes?
                Just past Kent in Cornwall Village... Right on the Housatonic. It's a real nice ride through there. I'm going to cruise up through there in a few weeks when the leaves turn. I'll let you know.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

The ride up (and down) Haleakala on Maui.

Whew! That's an old photo...1979...

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                  '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                  Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

yea deff let me kno when u wanna do that cruise and we can get our bird together(if mine isnt sold by then)

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Man you guys are lucky...you have some nice stretches to cruise on.

Illinois = ummm flat lands complete with growing corn for hours...and hours...and hours

Next week wednesday I leave for Wyoming where I'll be living for the next 12-15 months...until I get further west that is...I'm sure that will quite the sightseeing cruise
                      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Shanendoah National Forest: Skyline Drive......................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

add RT 67 to that list, just came down it(have a 4 hr break be4 my next class) and wow the leaves are just starting to turn colors

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28

]
                            How come we drive on a Parkway and Park on a Driveway?
                            2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                            2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge parkway are both incredibly scenic routes...just remember to bringa picnic lunch cuz there arent many places to stop that have "facilities"...not to mention the Parkway stretches over a huge portion of the state and into North Carolina so you can stay on for quite a while if you wish. One of my personal faves is state route 5 east out of Richmond all the way down to Williamsburg...then you have the option of taking the Jamestown Ferry over the river or continue on down to the James river bridge and cross over to route 10 and head back west...all nice two lane, scenic, wooded and shady...beautiful in the fall...great top open cruising Of course route 10 brings you back to the tri-city area (Petersburg/Hopewell/Colonial Heights)...if you need to get back to the Richmond area, go alittle north of Rte5 at Williamsburg and pick up Rte60 west...which is a 4 lane, but still a nice ride...with plenty of places to stop so your "main squeeze" can have fun too.

Comment

Working...
                              X