No announcement yet.

NFB: Nissan Titan or Nissan Pathfinder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Nissan Titan or Nissan Pathfinder?

I need a vote or some rationale on this decision.

I'm trying to decide between buying a full size 2005 Nissan Titan vs. a Pathfinder.

1. I like the pathfinder because my gear can be relatively secure in the cargo space and protected from the elements.

2. I like the pathfinder because it's got a 3rd row seat that is decent for short trips. It's better on gas than a Titan (16/21 vs. 13 MPG)

3. I like the Titan because it has better bargo capacity than the Pathfinder and can carry something like a motorcycle, furniture, or a bloody deer. Unfortunately I won't necessarily need that capability often.

I'm single and have no kids that the other women can prove are mine yet

I don't "need" either vehicle but I want one or the other. Tell me what you guys think. How useful has your Pickups VS SUVs been?
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

If it were me and you didn't need either vehicle, I'd find something used that fills your needs. Why spend that much (and suffer the depreciation) on a brand new vehicle you don't need? However, it's your decision and money, so I'd have to say get the Titan and a tonneu (sp?) cover or cap for it. Then you can keep your gear dry and secure but still have the ability to haul those bloddy deer when you need too.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I think a better decision would be between Titan and Armada, or Pathfinder and Fontier.

It's like trying to decide between a Silverado or a Trailblazer...don't quite make sense unless you compare Silverado to the Tahoe.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I went from a K5 to a Ram, and I will never(!) go back to a SUV. I gutted the back of my K5 and used it to haul wood, dirt, rocks, etc., but it is not nearly as utilitarian as a truck. There is so much more I can do with my Ram. I still have my K5 that I am turning into an off-road vehicle, but it is a toy. I can't imagine a Tahoe, the newer reincarnation of the K5, being good for anything except using a lot of gas.

On to my next soapbox speech. Some people agree with me some don't. I am not too fond of either choice here for a variety of reasons(pretty biased against Nissan anything). I believe trucks are meant for one thing...work, whether it is towing or hauling so I usually recommend the most utilitarian. If a perspective owner doesn't plan to haul or tow anything, then they probably don't need a truck. If they plan to off-road, then they should probably buy something old that can be banged up without a huge loss of investment. Personally, I won't buy anything but a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. They can just do more...just the other day, I hooked up the trailer to my class V hitch and picked up about 4 tons of cottonwood...4ft by 2ft rounds and brought them home without thinking twice. Whether I am towing my trailer, or picking up landscape materials, building materials, dirt, or rocks; I know I have a enough truck to do just about any job. The Titan or the Tundra just can't do what a 3/4 or 1 ton Dodge, Chevy, or Ford can do.
        '77 K5 rock-crawler project
        '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
        '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
        '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
        '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
        My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I work for a Nissan dealer, but I drive GM's. Nissan makes the best 1/2 ton truck out there, period. More horsepower, more torque, more towing capacity, more interior room, more interior versatility, and a host of other "more's" than the other guys. I believe the only thing GMC/Chevy has on us is gas mileage (their commercials for the last two years have not ever mentioned the Titan until recently), and the only thing Dodge has on us is torque, and that is NOT with their base model truck. I'm sorry, I am a GM man, but if I were to buy a truck, it would be a Titan. What other 1/2 ton can tow 9600 pounds? Nobody. The Titan would be equivalent to a non-diesel 2500 or 3500 of the other guys, the only exception being how much you can hold in the bed. But who's gonna run around with 2,000 pounds of bricks in the bed all day except in a commercial?

And I agree, Titan vs. Pathfinder isn't really fair as they are two totally different vehicles. Being that you are single with no kids, I'd go Titan. If you had kids, it would be no question, as the SUV is going to be way more kid-friendly. But if you go a Titan with a utili-track bed, you could add on accessories to make it do whatever you wanted. We have the coolest toolbox in the world. It can latch behind the cab like a regular toolbox, but when you need to use it, unlatch it and it slides all the way to the tailgate and locks in AGAIN so you can actually get to the tools in the box. BTW, there is a company that has cracked the Nissan programming and a chip will be available soon, probably in a flip chip style like the Lightning's have, where you can choose between bust-butts or sip-gas modes.
          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
            I work for a Nissan dealer, but I drive GM's. Nissan makes the best 1/2 ton truck out there, period. More horsepower, more torque, more towing capacity, more interior room, more interior versatility, and a host of other "more's" than the other guys. I believe the only thing GMC/Chevy has on us is gas mileage (their commercials for the last two years have not ever mentioned the Titan until recently), and the only thing Dodge has on us is torque, and that is NOT with their base model truck. I'm sorry, I am a GM man, but if I were to buy a truck, it would be a Titan. What other 1/2 ton can tow 9600 pounds? Nobody. The Titan would be equivalent to a non-diesel 2500 or 3500 of the other guys, the only exception being how much you can hold in the bed. But who's gonna run around with 2,000 pounds of bricks in the bed all day except in a commercial?
            Not trying to start a war here but I did some research on horsepower vs torque vs towing this morning. I've been irritated with Nissan's commercial that adds the word "standard" for a while now so I thought I would get the facts straight from the manufacturers web site. Here are the results.

Full size truck comparison in the light duty class
            Hp min/max Tq min/max tow min/max
            Dodge 215/345 235/375 3300/9100
            Ford*1 202/300 260/365 2300//9900
            GM*2 195/345 260/380 3600/10400
            Nissan *3/305 *3/379 6500/9400
            Toyota 236/271 266/313 4800/7100

*1 Lightning rated at 380 hp/450 tq/5,000 tow http://www.svt.ford.com/flash/lightningfeature.html
            *2 SS rated at 345 hp/380 tq/10,000 tow
            *3 Nissan does not put a V6 in their truck. They have 1 motor that is equivalent to the max motor of everyone else.

All information from their web site.
            http://www.dodge.com/ram_1500/
            http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/
            http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/
            http://www.nissanusa.com/
            http://www.toyota.com/
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Who has a new p/u out? Is it toyota? THats a nice looking truck!

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
              2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
                The Titan would be equivalent to a non-diesel 2500 or 3500 of the other guys, the only exception being how much you can hold in the bed. But who's gonna run around with 2,000 pounds of bricks in the bed all day except in a commercial?
                Being equivalent to a 3/4 or 1 ton is very very unlikely. My last trip to the rock yard, I weighed in at 11,300lbs with top soil heaping over my bed rails and piled on my truck/tool box. Even with this load, well over two tons of top soil, I still had an inch of travel left on the overloads. I would love to see a Titan with 5,000lbs in the box. My truck has a Dana 60 in the front with a Dana 70 in the rear...solid axle front. Additionally, the Dana 80 is used on my truck with the 5sp manual....those are monsters. My truck also has an 8ft bed that allows me a huge amount of cargo capacity even with my truck/tool box. I would love to find somebody willing to chain up their Titan to my Ram so that we can see what happens...It would be fun to watch the carnage in my rear view mirror The Titan my run with the Pseudo 250 & 2500s out there, but not the real 3/4 tons and definitely not the 1 tons. We won't even talk about the diesels.

"...the only exception being how much you can hold in the bed." is the whole key. My truck will out haul, out tow, and perform a Titan every day of the week without even breaking a sweat.

As mentioned previously, the power thing is a sales gimmick. Ford, Dodge, and Chevy all sell stripped down base model trucks some with 6cyls for flexibility reasons so, obviously, they have less power configured as base models.
                '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I just started the thread to give me insite on what I would rather want to use in my life. I can always rent an SUV or Pickup if I had the "Need" but this is more of a want. I sometimes get tired of driving my Trans Am everyday especially on real long drives and rough highways and roads.

I know these two vehicles are in two different classes. I felt the Nissan Armada was too big for me as an SUV and more than I wanted to spend.

Pathfinder LE-Little bit better gas mileage, sits 7 adults (3rd row OK for short trips and better than competitors), can sleep in the back sheltered if at a camp site, can tow 6,000 lbs OK, 4x4 capability off road/snow.

Titan Crew Cab LE-Seats 5 full size adults very comfortably, cab is spacious, can carry alomost anyhting I may want in the back. Motorcycle, refridgerator, smelly fish, furnitures. Tows 9,500 (I probably don't need that much). Down fall is the Gas mileage is a little bit worse. I may not use the bed often enough. Parking is worse than the Pathfinder. I don't think I want a tonto cover.

Hard to decide what I want.
                  Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

Have you thought about renting one of each for a weekend just to see how you like it.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Many dealers will let you take a vehicle for a day or two as an extended test drive if you show real interest. Look for a dealer that will let you have both for a day or two to see how each may fit your commute and life. Make it clear that you'll end up with one of the two from their dealership and just about any dealer will do it.
                      Dave M
                      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                        Being equivalent to a 3/4 or 1 ton is very very unlikely. My last trip to the rock yard, I weighed in at 11,300lbs with top soil heaping over my bed rails and piled on my truck/tool box. Even with this load, well over two tons of top soil, I still had an inch of travel left on the overloads. I would love to see a Titan with 5,000lbs in the box. My truck has a Dana 60 in the front with a Dana 70 in the rear...solid axle front. Additionally, the Dana 80 is used on my truck with the 5sp manual....those are monsters. My truck also has an 8ft bed that allows me a huge amount of cargo capacity even with my truck/tool box. I would love to find somebody willing to chain up their Titan to my Ram so that we can see what happens...It would be fun to watch the carnage in my rear view mirror The Titan my run with the Pseudo 250 & 2500s out there, but not the real 3/4 tons and definitely not the 1 tons. We won't even talk about the diesels.
                        You pretty much said it. I do like the Titans, BUT they absolutely do not compare to the 3/4 or 1 ton Big 3 trucks. I do however think that the Titan does give the other 1/2 tons a good run for there money. The Titan tow rating is a bit lofty even for a HD Dana 44 rear and it does not appear to have the strength in the frame and suspension that the Big 3 1/2 tons do, but Nissan has just come into the game with their Titan.

Nissan isn't quite there yet, but I think in a few years Nissan will have a full size truck that will be very comparable to the Big 3.

Comment

Working...
                        X