This is such a sad state of affairs that the world must deal with

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is such a sad state of affairs that the world must deal with

Based on statements like this, it is no wonder that the middle east is destined for unrest. It makes you wonder when the whole middle east is going to erupt into a large mushroom shaped cloud.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051026/...ea/iran_israel

Originally posted by Joe 1320
    Based on statements like this, it is no wonder that the middle east is destined for unrest. It makes you wonder when the whole middle east is going to erupt into a large mushroom shaped cloud.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051026/...ea/iran_israel
    *sigh* ..........................

I really think we should just start pretending the rest of the world doesn't exist and just let them kill each other off.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Geez, that's unreal. What's even harder to understand is that these "Islam" people are all different and don't get along with each other either. So how is Islam going to be united? And I was thinking the same thing, we should just get out of that area of the world for a while and watch what happens. But we all know that isn't a good idea.
      69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
      70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
      2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by JL8Jeff
        But we all know that isn't a good idea.
        I disagree. We don't know that.

I think we've done our best efforts to bring peace and sanity to that region of the world. 2,000 of our young citizens have given their lives in hopes that these barbaric people could learn to live better lives. Enough is enough. They are incapable of rational thought, they are incapable of peace, and they are incapable of appreciation for human life. I'm more than ready to give up on them and watch them destroy each other. Time to bring the troops back home and staunchly protect our homeland.
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

It is those very points that you guys bring up that allude to the old phrase "The meek shall inherit the earth." It means that the aggressive members of society will end up killing each other off, leaving the pacifists to continue the species. I can't say I agree or disagree with any of it, I do feel that there will never be peace in the middle east while so much hatred exsists amongst their own people. I am almost to the point of endorsing the idea of leaving the entire area alone and letting civil war take over. It appears that despite our efforts, they are hell bent on civil war anyway. Each group is doing it's best to undermine and kill off the others all in the name of their supposed god. They all want to lay claim to the land, of them realize that nobody "owns" the land. They are all merely temporary tennants who should be grateful that they are alive and have firm ground that they can reside for their relatively short lifespan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
            I disagree. We don't know that.

I think we've done our best efforts to bring peace and sanity to that region of the world. 2,000 of our young citizens have given their lives in hopes that these barbaric people could learn to live better lives. Enough is enough. They are incapable of rational thought, they are incapable of peace, and they are incapable of appreciation for human life. I'm more than ready to give up on them and watch them destroy each other. Time to bring the troops back home and staunchly protect our homeland.
            I was an advocate for the war. I also believe we should finish the job we started (installing a democracy), otherwise, it will be worse than before. However, I completely agree with this statement. It's time to see what their new Government can do and get out of Dodge. Those troops would be more beneficial (and safer) protecting our soil.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

The cold hard facts are we wouldn't have anything to do with any country in the Middle East if weren't for OIL. So we can argue all we want about whether we should be there but we do need some stabilty in the region to protect our oil interests......it's really that simple.
              2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
                The cold hard facts are we wouldn't have anything to do with any country in the Middle East if weren't for OIL. So we can argue all we want about whether we should be there but we do need some stabilty in the region to protect our oil interests......it's really that simple.
                I couldn't of said that better mtself. Get rid of the oil and the situation changes completely.

What happens when you:
                1) Have an unstable culture that has not advanced in 2000 years and has serious issues with much of the remainder of civilized society

2) give it tons of $$ for the oil that just so happens to be under the land they live on so they can buy lots of weapons and other technology

3) and become dependant on the ability to get that oil

we have been sleeping with the enemy for a long time, and known it.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                  *sigh* ..........................

I really think we should just start pretending the rest of the world doesn't exist and just let them kill each other off.
                  Mmm just don't forget one of your biggest allies (and friends) us brits on this tiny little island, between your goodselves and the end of the world

Comment

True.... but the original strategy was for us to sit on our oil reserves while we first use up what comes from the middle east. Once that has dried up, the roles are reversed with us as the principle holder of the remaining oil. 60 years ago that was a decent strategy. Today there is a strong arguement for nationalism..... cutting off the importing of foreign oil and using our own reserves. The downside is that we had better come up with alternatives prior to our supply being exhausted or we will be in far worse shape than we are now.

Comment

Originally posted by GMad
                      Mmm just don't forget one of your biggest allies (and friends) us brits on this tiny little island, between your goodselves and the end of the world
                      Agreed, but I think the guys just mean leaving the middle east to collapse in upon itself rather than sending our troops over to hold it up. I have mixed emotions on this. I mean, I find it hard to sit here in a free, democratic society, enjoying all that comes with it, and watch on the news about how some dictator is commiting genocide against innocent people. That makes my skin crawl and makes me want the US and her allies to export pain and death to whoever does those things. It is also hard to stomach completely ousting a corrupt and murderous gov't, and in the process destroying that country's infrastructure, and then just up and leaving the people of that country to fend for themselves. It seems to be the frustrating and ugly part of being able to retaliate using the world's most formidable and powerful military.
                      However, seeing that over 2000 of our brave soldiers have died due to the instability that seems to be inevitable in a region full of religious extremists who hate peace of any kind makes me wish we could just pull out and let the extremists kill themselves off. Of course, the only problem with that theory is that those extremists make no distinction between killing civilians and killing uniformed soldiers.
                      I guess it is just one of the responsibilities of being the last remaining superpowers. Still sucks though.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Joe.....I doubt that middle eastern oil will ever be used up in my lifetime no matter what strategy the US develops.And since the middle east is such an unstable area to begin with, we need to keep a close eye on them so things never get totally out of control. Other than oil though they produce no significant commodities to resell on the world market and they are very much consumers for products and services of all type made by other countries......which further complicates matters. Why do you think the French and Germans didn't want to go into Iraq to begin with............because they (and their private industries) were both making significant amounts of money from the Iraqis to begin with.

If we pull out of Iraq now, Bush will eventually be judged as making the biggest blunder in history by doing so. It's a decision that would affect us in a negative fashion for a long time to come regardless of how the American public feels about it today............my 2 cents.
                        2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Joe.....I doubt that middle eastern oil will ever be used up in my lifetime no matter what strategy the US develops..
                          You're right. This was a strategy that was implimented back at the conclusion of WWII. I personally feel this strategy is long outdated and one of two things if not both need to happen.... the internalization of energy production and/or the elimination/reduction of reliance on oil.

Comment

And the saga continues...... now they are staging public protests of Israel.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051028/...ea/iran_israel

Comment

I wonder if these countries know that if they took a shot at isreal that they could wipe them off the face of the earth. Everyone else has, where is Rome?, what happened to egypt? and where is hittler? They all tried to decimate the Jews but they seem to still be here. But I guess they probably dont care much about history. Jews and Muslims stem from the same family if you read far enough back in the histories. While I am a big beliver in Religon(christian) I dont remember it saying in the bible for us to kill all the unbelivers. I dont understand how any religon can call for the death of millons, and be a way to the after life.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                              6.2L/382.97 ci
                              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                              WCT-5 speed
                              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                              Boss MS 18" Rims
                              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                              Custom Dual exhaust
                              1LE upgrade
                              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror