• Went drag racing yesterday...

First time racing the new (old) talon

Personal best of the day was:
    60' time - 1.888
    330 - 5.358
    1/8 mile - 8.203 @ 87.22mph
    1000' time - 10.732
    ¼ mile - 12.897 @ 104.91

That is in full street trim - spare tire, regular pump gas, normal boost (21psi), and missing 4th gear.

I didn't try any race gas and high boost - just wanted to see what I can do on the street. I was happy I got into the 12's!!!!

Here's some vids/pictures:

My best run video - racing my buddy in his 400+hp WRX (note his trap speed!) Check out my launch AWD, 21psi of boost, a heavy clutch and a 5000rpm really gets you moving. Though I did miss 4th gear towards the end..
    Best Run

Here's a run against a modified 04 Supercharged Cobra.. His blower sounds cool. He got a good jump on me, but I still managed to pass and beat him. I was happy.
    Me vs. Cobra
    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Gotta love AWD.

Comment

A buschur race front mount intercooler would look nice under that bumper.
      96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Originally posted by Red20170
        A buschur race front mount intercooler would look nice under that bumper.
        I'm torn between a huge FMIC or keeping the stocker look..

I love how it looks stock, but runs 12's, but on the other hand I love the mean look of the big ass IC.

Comment

dude where in ct are u? i thought i reconized that track. good ol' lebanon valley. i was suppose to go sunday but clutch issues prevented that.
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Yep - LV

I'm in Naugatuck..

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
              I'm torn between a huge FMIC or keeping the stocker look..

I love how it looks stock, but runs 12's, but on the other hand I love the mean look of the big ass IC.
              i vote for the stocker look. That would be wayyyyyy too much fun looking stock yet launching like a scalded dog. I would get into trouble with something like that. It sorta reminds me when my GN was more stock. Hardly any exhaust note and could rip off low 12s without breaking a sweat. Still, most enthusiasts are a little intimidated by the GNs and it was hard to get a race.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                i vote for the stocker look. That would be wayyyyyy too much fun looking stock yet launching like a scalded dog. I would get into trouble with something like that. It sorta reminds me when my GN was more stock. Hardly any exhaust note and could rip off low 12s without breaking a sweat. Still, most enthusiasts are a little intimidated by the GNs and it was hard to get a race.
                I think I'm with you.. HKS makes a big fat sidemount IC that will tuck into my fender. I think I might go that way.. Keep it stock looking, but still get great cooling.

I don't blame the people not wanting to race the GN! hahaa

Comment

I definately would keep the stock look...It will just feel better when people underestimate you and then get owned...
                  Greg W. in West Michigan
                  1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                  1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                  1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                  1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                  1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                  <Motor out

Comment

HKS makes a big fat sidemount IC that will tuck into my fender
                    A used supra side mount IC should give the same performance and save a few bucks. Just a thought...
                    96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Originally posted by Red20170
                      A used supra side mount IC should give the same performance and save a few bucks. Just a thought...
                      That's what I got in there now, and it's got plastic end tanks.. The HKS is at least 100% metal. The plastic is probably leaking.

Comment

I thought I would mention a little handy fabrication could work wonders. I have an intercooler that I had modified and I swap in just for track use. I took an air to air and boxed it in. I then fill it with ice and a little water and for quarter mile blasts, it works fantastic. I change the ice/water after each run and inlet temps are way lower than runnung it as regular air to air. I toyed around with building a seperate holding tank and using a windshield washer pump to circulate the water, but for the dragstrip I didn't think it was necessary. As it sits, it gave me a couple of tenths.

Comment

Not a bad idea! I've seen similar things. Cool to see what people come up with..

Comment

Working...
                          X