• time for a second car

so its time to buy a extra car...

subaru wrx sti

or

lancer evo

which would you guys choose, and why?

we are talking used so probubly like a 2004-2005 or so
    1995 LT1 bird
    10" 2800 stall coan converter,beefed tranny, supreme shift,motive 373 gears,3 inch catback with a flowmaster muffler, pcmforless tuned,slp cold air intake,tb bypassed, better flowing intake elbow, air foil,poly trans mount.
    275/40/17 Nitto NT555R extreme drags in rear

2005 Dode SRT-4
    agp billet adjustable wastegate,Maxxfab 3 inch catless downpipe, borla catback ,K&N drop in filter,mapclamped,tuned,mopar blow off valve, Prothane motor mount inserts,21 pounds of boost!
    6 dics cd changer, 10 inch MTX fully loaded with moonroof and viper style seats

Which ever is faster. Bottom line.
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

depends... if you prefer economy... the lancer or an Srt-4. If you dont care, STI all the way. But i hear they have tranny problems when you start getting on them. I just dont like the look of the lancer at all. Plus the STI is faster (straights).
      99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

The Evo will beat the living hell out of you as a daily driver. It's faster. They both have durability limits. An Evo is higher risk for buying used, the market is younger and more likely to abuse.

I live in metro detroit. If you drive alot you'll learn to hate the Evo.

Comment

Mitsubishi service sucks to say the least. They void warrantys quickly, it takes forever to get parts...... been there done that. Avoid that brand like the plague if possible.

Comment

We traded in my wife's (POS) Beetle for a PT Cruiser. I kind of like that little car. It has a boat load of room in it for the size. I put new sway bars on it Monday to help the body roll. They make a turbo version too. She's averaging between 22 and 25 mpg combo city highway. There is a TSB for a computer re-flash that I have to get done that's supposed to help the MPG.

I don't like either of those 2 cars.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

personally i wouldnt get either. if u want something decently fast look at the 92-95 sho's i kno its a ford product but when i had my tuarus, i had no issues with it. plus the shos have either the 3.2 or 3.0 motors(japan motors not US ones)
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Both of those cars are faster than your Camaro - why would you buy them as a "second" car?
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Because camaros are the funnest one to drive always will be

neway i would get the sti justr cause i dont like the evos lol
                  1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

Originally posted by DierDesire824
                    Because camaros are the funnest one to drive always will be

neway i would get the sti justr cause i dont like the evos lol
                    Have you ever driven an STi or Evo?
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

I can only go by experience here...

My cousin has an '04 WRX (not an STI), and that thing goes like stink. It's really fun to drive, and the fit and finish is very nice. Interior quality is right up there. As Joe stated, Mitsu has a poor service record. A friend of mine had a Mitsubishi Montero. His transmission was acting up at 28,000 miles, just two years after he bought it. It took him several phone calls and three weeks before they agreed to fix it.

The only Mitsubishi product I own is a DLP TV (different division, I know). The quality is fantastic, but I fear if there's ever a problem...
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I own a Subaru now but I still voted for the Evo. Not a huge fan of the STi or WRX - and I think the Evo is 10000000X better looking.

I also vote that if you get an STi there will be no purpose for the Camaro other than a senseless drain on your funds. The STi does everything better - acceleration, handling, winter driving, seating 4 people... why would you keep a car that you can only drive half the year and doesn't perform as well in any category?

Comment

I dunno Jay.....A modded f-body can still be quicker than a stock EVO or Subie. I know you just got yours and by all rights, it's a fine car. Take a step back for a moment and re-read what you posted. I've caught an Evo and a WRXsti at a light and both of them were getting a fine view of my tail lights. Mine isn't stock, but it isn't really a mod monster either. The AWD is a hott to launch, but you must literally abuse the machinery to generate the numbers and then parts durability becomes a serious issue. You're right about AWD gets the nod in off road Rally Racing, Bad weather conditions, etc. But come on Jay, the Evo or the Subaru aren't the end all that immediatly trounce an f-body in all catagories. Remember, as you pointed out before...... there are bone stock LS1s that clipped the quarter in the high 12s, something that I've yet to see happen with a Subie or an EVO. Again, just trying to keep things in perspective. Even with that being said, I would still love to get a WRXsti.

Comment

I agree with Joe. I raced a slightly modded evo and ended up beating him by more than a car length. Considering he launched at 4500 rpm and i went from an idle I think thats pretty good. The AWD can launch amazing, but i wasnt impressed at all by how much it pulled at the top end (when traction is no longer an issue). That being said, I would still go with the evo, the one I raced was a friend of mine and I thought it was a good all around car. My only word of advice is find one thats been adult driven, cause my friend hammers on his like there is no tomorow.
                            1980 Camaro w/ ZZ4, most of the info is correct... www.pitt.edu/~hhh1

Comment

My cousin and I traded cars for a few miles. I drove his WRX, and he drove my T/a. Granted, his isn't the STi, and I know that's a big difference, but he said my car is an absolute beast compared to his. Sure, his is much easier to drive fast, but that's the point of an American V8. They are big, burly monsters that take a bit of know-how and skill to drive correctly.

WRX's and Evo's are a bit more "plug-and-play" to put it differently.
                              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
                              X