Amazing experience tonight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing experience tonight

This evening around 5 oclock a local girl who is just a month shy of her third birthday wandered from her front yard at there home at the base of a mountain and into the woods it is assumed she was following her puppy. Her mother had been watching her out the window but when she came back from taking a telephone call she was gone. My grandfather lives less than a mile away from them and around 8 I went to wax my car at his house and saw a helecopter flying back and fourth at the foot of the mountain. He told me what was going on and that they were using equiptment that picked up heat out of the helecopter to try to pick her up. When the call came over the scanner that the helecopter was giving up I took a ride up to the road that leads back to their house with my brother where a fire cop was and asked if they were forming a search party, he said they were and could really use people with ATV's and who knew the mountain I told him I would help since I have an ATV and have ridden the trails all over the mountain for many years. My brother and I quickly spliced the tail light and hooked up a spot light, threw on some warm clothes and made the trip up there (having a cop following us and passing one and not getting in trouble was experience enough lol). When we got there I was shocked there were atleast 200 volunteers there to help as well as firefighters, rescue workers, police ext. They set up a makeshift command station and local businesses brought up food and warm drinks for all the searchers to help keep everyone warm in the below freezing weather. Everyone knew time was of the essence because the girls young age and she was only wearing sweatpants and a long sleeved shirt in such cold weather. They got together everyone they could find who knew the mountain well enough to go out in the dark and started sending us out as well as starting grid searches. The terrain in this area is very steep and rocky as well as think brush which makes searching slow and tedious. My brother and I probably covered only 4 miles of ground in the time we were there but a lot of it was just making our own trail. Around 12:30 we led a guy back to the central area to refuel and see if they needed us in a particular area, I answered a few questions about what we had covered and seen then was asked to help set up about 50 people to search some very thick woods and a shale pit. After doing that I walked back and just then a call came over firemans radio that sounded like we got her, everyone was silent and the call came again at that time everyone erupted into cheers. Around 1AM she was found in the woods a few hundred yards from her house. A few minutes later a searcher came in holding the girl who looked very frightened but in good shape and reunited her with her parents. That had to have been one of the best feelings I've ever had in my life, and I was beyond amazed how well a community pulled together even though it meant walking through very rough terrain in freezing temperatures late at night everyone pulled through and saved this little girls life I'm sure that most of the people there had no idea who she was but they still stuck it out. A helecopter with state of the art technology and search and rescue dogs were not able to find her but a community that pulled together and wandered the dark woods was. Tonight I can say I'm more than proud of my whole area and the great people that make it up.
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

That's awesome! It sounds like a great place to live.

Comment

kudos to all of yall.....way to go!!!!!!!!1

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

What a great bunch of people. You are all to be commended for your efforts.
        2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

wow now that is good news for a change wish the evening news wasn't as agenda-driven and showed more dencent honest communities like yours
          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
          pics and info

Comment

Great job! That will be something you will remember the rest of your life. You should be proud.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

http://lewistownsentinel.com/article...articleID=5027

Theres a link to our local paper with a small story.
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

I find this response typical on an educated society with values for life acting as a group. As a difference to other societies where lack of education is total.

I have seen this also in some places like Europe and Japan, also with a high level of education.

And I think this is the world problem we face now. The other uneducated societies who somehow we have to deal with. Lack of education has come on fashion in many places now.

I am specially happy for the girl and for you all who participated on the search. Now you have something more in common to strenghten your ties.

Congratulations.

Lordvader
                1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

Comment

Fantastic job...
                  2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                  1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                  2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                  2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                  2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Working...
                  X