Ebay or Autotrader?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay or Autotrader?

After about a week now of having an inbox full of "I'd like to buy your car" messages that turn into nothing more than maybe one or two replies and then a "my wife won't let me get it or I'll get back to you as soon as I sell my car" message. I'd like to get very serious about selling my car. Do you guys think ebay or autotrader is the way to go? I have it posted on a few boards and hopefully something will work out there but if not I'm going to need to use something else. I know ebay is risky because it costs a decent amount even if the car is not sold but I've heard it is a great way to sell a car quick. I'd probably set the reserve at $3,500. Also I checked autotrader and they had a decent amount of firebirds similar to mine in milage and condition and most were rediculously expensive so if I put it on there for $3,500 would I have a decent chance?

On a side note I had a guy bring his 15 year old son to look at my car yesterday evening he had heard about it through a friend of a friend. He was first very upset with me because I would not let his son drive it I tried explaining to him there was no way my insurance would cover a wreck it I let a 15 year old drive my car. He said he'd pay for damages and I asked if he'd cover it if his son caused a head on collision and there were hundreds of thousands in medical bills, that shut him up for a little until we took it for a test drive with me driving. Pulling out of a stop sign on a back road he asked if I would get on it, I did and ran it up through third gear then backed off and slowed back down to the speedlimit. He told me to do it again about 5 minutes later to which I replied I don't beat on my vehicles if you want to buy it you can do anything you want to it he didn't seem very happy about that. When we got back he told me he liked the car and would have bought the car on the spot had I let his son drive it so he knew if his son liked it for sure then proceeded to tell me I'm a pu### and worry way to much. I really didn't know what to do at that point laugh or smash his head off the windshield. Since he was litterally about half my size I just decided to laugh and told him to have a nice day as I turned and walked in side. If a guy like this doesn't proove Darwin wrong I don't know who does .
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

wow. now theres a way to go about purchasing a car. With that attitude I don't know if i would have sold him the car even if he did want to buy it at that point....im guessing the 15 year old didn't have a drivers liscence?
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

I'm not bashing anyone here if this was their case, but an LT1 Firebird is far too much car for a new driver. That car would turn into a weapon at some point. You made the right call by not allowing an unlicensed kid drive it.
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I bought mine when I was 17 the only reason I got it was it was my own money and my dad is not into cars at all and didn't understand how powerful it was. I'm lucky to still be alive and it took a few close calls to wisen me up. I don't even know if I'd feel right selling it to someone who doesn't have any experience.
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

What an idiot. I don't beat on my cars either and I would have never let his 15 year old son drive it no matter what. And an LT1 car is way too much power for a new driver like that. As for advertising, I sold my 454SS pickup last year on Autotrader and just bought my 96 SS from an ad on Autotrader so it definitely works. Ebay is nice for exposure, but you only get 7-10 days and way too many tirekickers. I did sell my 68 LT1 car to a guy in England off Ebay so I know that works as well.
          69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
          70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
          2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

I bought my car off of auto traider. The fall and winter isn't ideal for selling these cars.

With that 15 yr old kid wanting the firebird I think the dad is crazzy for even thinking about that. This was my first car but I am older and him trying to get you to go as quick as possible with it shows you it will end up kissing a tree if he bought it.
            94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

It seems like all of us on f-body.com would make a lot more money if our stupid morals wouldn't get in the way.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I would vote for Autotrader. I think your ad runs until it sells. On eBay you would have to keep relisting it until it sold.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                  When we got back he told me he liked the car and would have bought the car on the spot had I let his son drive it so he knew if his son liked it for sure then proceeded to tell me I'm a pu### and worry way to much. I really didn't know what to do at that point laugh or smash his head off the windshield. Since he was litterally about half my size I just decided to laugh and told him to have a nice day as I turned and walked in side. If a guy like this doesn't proove Darwin wrong I don't know who does .
                  You did the right thing, what you had there were simple joyriders. The father was an idiot.......

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    You did the right thing, what you had there were simple joyriders. The father was an idiot.......
                    I understand the whole point of a test drive is exactly that to test it out and see if you like it, I've driven vehicles I didn't buy because there was something I didn't like about it while driving it. I also have a rule that I will not buy a vehicle if I don't put atleast 100 miles on it, I've had people laugh at me when I tell them I want to drive it to a destination atleast 50 miles away and back and that I will fill the tank back up but I feel in that time you can get a real feel for the vehicle and any problems. I also have no problem with someone driving my car that far as long as they're liscensed and I'm riding with them, I'm not going to let someone have a tire smoking joyride at my expense. I agree with you Joe they were probably just joyriders but even if the guy would have shown me the cash on the spot I still would not have let his son drive.

I also have another ''I'm going to buy your car once mine is sold'' offer and supposedly a guy is selling his mustang Saturday but I'm not holding my breathe. If this falls through I'm going to go with autotrader and my car will remain forsale until I have the money in my hands. I just can't believe that so many people can be interested but no one actually serious.

Comment

Working...
                    X