T-top Conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-top Conversion

I have thought about this for a long time and decided awhile ago that I wasnt going to do it. I drove my friends car yesterday in the last of the 70 degree weather and fell in love with T tops all over again. I have been researching some very well designed websites with instructions and pictures. I feel like it will be a fairly easy process especially with my grandfathers fabrication skills. As far as the structure of the car, my boss where I work can weld on some sub frame connectors to increase the loss rigity. Im not selling the car and plan on keeping it forever, im not making the mistake my dad did and sell my first real car. I really want to do this now, what do you guys think??? Thanks
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Go for it! I've always wished I could witness a t-top conversion first hand.

You know, the 4th gen cars were originally designed to have t-tops. Even the hard top cars have the t-roof, it's just covered up with a solid roof panel.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks for the support, Im starting the search for parts this month. Im in no rush, just to get the best deal!
      1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

personally thing ur better off buying a factory car with t-tops. but what floats ur boat and good luck with it
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I think if I was in your shoes, I would go for it. I mean, you already have the car and you must be happy with it so far. Not to mention the wealth of knowledge to help you along on the internet. I recall seeing some threads about doing it and it wasnt that hard. Like TraceZ said, Its pretty much set up for it underneath the roof skin.....So scratch another up for goferit
          Greg W. in West Michigan
          1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
          1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
          1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
          1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
          1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
          <Motor out

Comment

I say go for it. It looks to be a fairly straight forward process.

And BTW, you are not going to lose any chassis rigidity. The load bearing part of the chassis is not the outer sheet metal but the underlying roof sub-frame. All 4th Gen chassis roll off the assembly line the same whether they are destined to have t-tops or not. So the chassis are all made to accept t-tops.

Comment

Guys - It's not that bad.... Check out my pictures...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ggj1028

I used this site as a reference... Dave was a member a few years back..

http://dw-zone.gotdns.com/

Let me know if you have questions....
              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Working...
              X