What Thanksgiving meant to me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Thanksgiving meant to me

This year had it’s usual twists and turns that I’ve become to expect. As I approached the holiday season my pace became almost frantic. Meetings every time I turn around, The push on retail’s final quarter, family problems, hurricanes and so on. I was hoping to be able to regain some resemblance or normality during this season. Well it worked out this year that my son would be spending Thanksgiving with his mother. Rats! I tried to Arrange a time to take him to see his grandmother for her birthday and to celebrate Thanksgiving, that didn’t work out either. My son flew out to see his mother as part of her visitation schedule. That left me some time to reflect. It was best that I was not going to be around anyone, I had things that needed to be done.

The T/A developed an annoying header leak and I’m solving that problem for good. I was too cheap the last time out and didn’t get Percy’s dead soft header gaskets. They work great on headers with no flange bracing and irregular surfaces. Don’t burn either. So I spent the day being intimate with the old girl. This T/A had served me well on it’s first tour of duty. I promised her that when she hit 10, she would get a facelift. She has over 140K miles now. The servicing of the car has been anal, everything works like new, much quicker than new too! I tried in the last day before Thanksgiving to push everyone away for a day so that I could do an old pastime. Turning wrenches on the car while turning the wrenches on my mind as well. Normally it is an escape from reality. On Thanksgiving day it helped put perspective in reality. It also reminded me how much of a pain it is to do headers on a 4th gen f-body.

I tried to push everyone away and it almost worked. A friend from work insisted that she drop off a Turkey Dinner. She was supposed to call. Here I am up to my elbows in dirt, she shows up. I guess she knew me after all. When she would have called, I would had figured out a way to not be there. The problem is that now I look like hell and she looks like she stepped off a magazine cover. Yikes! She hung around and kept me company for a couple of hours, I ate a nice mix of Turkey, Ham, all the extras and a slice of home made Cheesecake. I really didn’t need to eat it. I had already started to push to avoid the holiday weight gains, I wasn’t telling her that! She’s known me for a few years and is indeed a great friend. Stubborn and hot headed at times, but a true friend. A lot of our lives have a parallel so she understands part of how I felt this day.

In this past two weeks, My two Nieces were born very premature. Neither survived. One death was due to hospital error, The other was a combination of several problems and likely hospital error. Shortly afterward, my Sister’s diagnosis of her cancer is not good. She is in stage 4 and has been given 6 months to live. Dealing with the loss and the wide range of emotions has been a challenge.

Thanksgiving day for me will be an ever renewed reminder of our own mortality and a renewed appreciation for what we have in life. It is a reminder that I should take more time for myself to do the things I love. The T/A has served another purpose. She allows me to work out my problems while I work out hers. My Friend will need my help as well. She too has been diagnosed with cancer. Stage one, so hopefully this was found in time. Her surgery is in a week. It certainly seems like good people are forced to suffer the most. Both my sister and my friend are the type of person who put others ahead of themselves.

So you see, the old girl has helped me in many ways. She reminds me of my youth, when I didn’t have the dough to fix things and had to figure out how to do it myself. I now have a great collection of tools too. She also reminds me that I’m not in my youth, I’m feeling the mild aches and pains that I wouldn’t have had while in my youth. I still had fun though. And it was a very welcome diversion, something that I will be needing as time goes by. And folks, that’s what this place is all about. A place of diversion so that we can all share the friendships, a place to dream about tomorrow, and a place to be thankful for when we need it. Getting even with Ken was something that I needed that morning. I desperately needed a laugh and the photoshop of his rice GTO delivered.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14828

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and has even a better Holiday Season! Please be safe this Holiday Season so we can celebrate again next year.

good post, Joe....

Thanksgiving is always my roughest holiday, for you see, everything bad thats happend to me in my life, with the exception of Kenny's death and Niknoa's death, happened right around this holiday... it's hard to fight off the memories sometimes.....but we go on, so not to drag those around us into the pit....

anyway........

you can photo shop my goat anytime you want........ course .......you know that by now.....LOL

have a good one, going to try and fight the black friday holiday shoppin idiots and get to the gym today....can you believe, mary talked me into eating a bunch of desert yesterday!!!!!!! i never eat desert

im a sickning sweat hog of the 2nd water!!!!!!!!!

laters broh

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Wow Joe, I had no idea things were getting this rough for you

I have never really liked the holidays. Not because I hate being cheery or anything (although you would think that's what it is if you see me in the morning lol ), but because of what I've grown up with. I am the product of a split home. My parents divorced when I was only 3. I have no idea why nor will I ever know why until the day I stand before our Great Maker, since both have conflicting stories and neither will budge. All I have left of a normal childhood are some pictures and my dad's old wedding ring.

So, the holidays were always the toughest. I could obviously only be at one house for the holidays, so it was always rough listening to the "discussions" about where I would be. Then, when I was old enough that I could make the decision for myself, this was all forced on me. So, 1 of my parents was going to be hurt...and there was nothing I could do . Well, with my parents both moved away, its now already a clear choice about where I go for which holiday.

While that may not sound bad, the kicker was that since I had to go to my dad's for some of the holidays, that meant dealing with my stepmother. Her and I have never gotten along at all, merely acted civily toward each other for periods of time for the sake of my dad. I cannot stand her, but that's a different story entirely.

On top of that, there was my now-former stepfather. There were the times he would be drunk, the couple Christmas' he walked out on us, the one Christmas he was arrested...it just never ended.

However, I have come to realize one thing through all this. As dark as it sounds, its only through strife that we become better people. Having to deal with my step-parents has taught me that your friends and real family are more important than the petty crap we try to let divide us. Having to deal with them has taught me to love my real parents for all that they are, regardless of how much I disagree with them sometimes. And most of all, growing up in a split home has made me realize that this is not something I want my children to go through...that I should do anything and everything possible to preserve my future marriage, even if only for them.

Thanksgiving has taught me a lot. It has taught me to cherish what you have, for we are no more than mere thoughts that are no soone here than we are gone. Kansas said it best..."All we are is dust in the wind." I must say I cherish this board for all it has taught me, whether car-related or not. Just the fact that I know I have good friends here (and a wolfman to pick on lol ) reminds me that life is worth sweating out. Heck, I can't let Joe and Ken go un-harrased for too long . Take care all, stay safe and lets keep our friendships strong. We need each other as much as everyone else needs us. Vía con Díos mi amigos
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Wow Steve... I can relate to most of your post...Be safe gys and have a happy holiday season.
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

Keep that chin up Joe. Hopefully your sister will get lucky. My great grandfather found out that he had 6 months to live in his mid 70's. He died at 91 Sometimes doctors make bad calls and people pull through with treatment. Hopefully this will be the case for your sister as well. I'm real sorry to hear about the loss of your nieces, too. It seems like everything that can go wrong for you is going wrong. I'm not sure if it means anything to you, but you know that we're all here for you. Stay strong.
          Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
          SOLD- Kinda miss it
          94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
          SOLD- Good riddance!
          2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I too am from a divorced family so I can with absolute certainty appreciate the unwelcomed uneasiness that was sometimes associated with the holidays.

I agree with you guys that God definitely puts those who He admires the most, through the hardest trials and tribulations. Suppose we look at that with a slightly different perspective though. Through those trying times, it IS when we aquire the uniquely inspring wisdom that only those who experience those very trying times can. The ultimate outcome that God would like for us to experience is that of a renewed appreciation for life, an enriched wisdom, and a better understanding of ourselves especially spritually. We should be thankful that the man upstairs loves us enough to teach us these fundamental principles. We are better than most for it.

I try to always remind myself of this whenever the thoughts of plans of a clever retreat from family attempt to creep into my head. Steve referred to a Kansas song...."All we are is dust in the wind". Stevo I love ya man , but let me see if I can respectfully offer another perspective. Relatively and chronologically speaking, I would agree that "our" time here on earth is just a blink of an eye in the eyes of the universe and even more specifically the earth. But entertain this thought for a moment.

Consider that the average life expectancy right now is roughly 78 years. 60 of which we are adults. That is 21,900 days of precious life. 21,900 days in which to tell someone you love them. 21,900 days in which to just to look at the blue sky, beautiful clouds, lush green foliage, and just say to yourself "It's good to be alive".

What Thanksgiving means to me can be summarized by this. Live life not by adversity that has long been past, but by the hope and the anticipation of greatness that the future holds close.

BTW you guys are all ugly and your mother dresses you funny!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              I too am from a divorced family so I can with absolute certainty appreciate the unwelcomed uneasiness that was sometimes associated with the holidays.

I agree with you guys that God definitely puts those who He admires the most, through the hardest trials and tribulations. Suppose we look at that with a slightly different perspective though. Through those trying times, it IS when we aquire the uniquely inspring wisdom that only those who experience those very trying times can. The ultimate outcome that God would like for us to experience is that of a renewed appreciation for life, an enriched wisdom, and a better understanding of ourselves especially spritually. We should be thankful that the man upstairs loves us enough to teach us these fundamental principles. We are better than most for it.

I try to always remind myself of this whenever the thoughts of plans of a clever retreat from family attempt to creep into my head. Steve referred to a Kansas song...."All we are is dust in the wind". Stevo I love ya man , but let me see if I can respectfully offer another perspective. Relatively and chronologically speaking, I would agree that "our" time here on earth is just a blink of an eye in the eyes of the universe and even more specifically the earth. But entertain this thought for a moment.

Consider that the average life expectancy right now is roughly 78 years. 60 of which we are adults. That is 21,900 days of precious life. 21,900 days in which to tell someone you love them. 21,900 days in which to just to look at the blue sky, beautiful clouds, lush green foliage, and just say to yourself "It's good to be alive".

What Thanksgiving means to me can be summarized by this. Live life not by adversity that has long been past, but by the hope and the anticipation of greatness that the future holds close.

BTW you guys are all ugly and your mother dresses you funny!
              Are you on crack?!?! That doesn't make a lick of sense... lol

Naw, I agree with you Kev, hence the reason I mentioned "Dust in the Wind." Kind of a reminder that its the little things that are important. A person's legacy isn't their cars or their house(s) or anything materialistic...its the love that they show for their fellow man, regardless of relation. Guess I went about saying that in a roundabout way

And Kev, your feet smell and your mom wears knee-high combat boots lol
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                Are you on crack?!?! That doesn't make a lick of sense... lol

Naw, I agree with you Kev, hence the reason I mentioned "Dust in the Wind." Kind of a reminder that its the little things that are important. A person's legacy isn't their cars or their house(s) or anything materialistic...its the love that they show for their fellow man, regardless of relation. Guess I went about saying that in a roundabout way

And Kev, your feet smell and your mom wears knee-high combat boots lol
                I liked it best when Robin Williams said it in "Good Will Hunting".
                "My wife's been dead two years, Will.
                And when I think about her, those are
                the things I think about most. Little
                idiosyncrasies that only I knew about.
                Those made her my wife. And she had
                the goods on me too. Little things I
                do out of habit. People call these
                things imperfections Will. It's just
                who we are. And we get to choose who
                we're going to let into out weird
                little worlds.

Comment

One part I forgot to include was what triggered the whole mood. After seeing my son off at the airport, I headed across town on my way to my oldest friend's place just to share a few moments. Tampa traffic was slammed as usual, being it was the day before Thanksgiving it was even worse. As I crept forward foot by foot, I came across a guy in his black SUV wanting to cut across from the center island and go across. I stop short and so did a few others so that he could go across. As I'm contemplating all the things that had not gone right, how my son wasn't with me, how other family issues weren't right, as the guy pulls in front of me I can see he's chatting on his cell phone. He clears the front of my car, I start to pull foreward because the light was green and traffic was clearing. Then I hear what sounds like a gunshot. BAM! The guy in that SUV gets nailed by some kid in a Grand Cherokee that was hauling butt up the turn lane. The impact sends the black SUV 90º and now heading parallel with me just to my right. The Cherokee with the now missing front end from the front wheels foreward, was continuing on a fairly straight path down a slight embankment, into a drainage ditch actually driving right along it's length. The Cherokee finally came to a stop a couple hundred feet from the impact. Because my windows were open, I got the full earshot and it snapped me into an instant reality. From that moment on, I was in full appreciation of Thanksgiving. I was off to see my best friend, I had a day to work on the T/A and life was just great! The reason is because of how frail our lives really are.......... We should appreciate what we have because in the blink of an eye, it can be gone. So I had a great Thanksgiving, how about you guys?

Comment

Joe - God bless you, pal. It takes a special kind of person to see the good through everything that is going on in your life. Thanksgiving was always one of my favorite holidays if only because I'm around the people I actually enjoy being around.

Three years ago, however, my Grandfather past away two days before Thanksgiving. It's still hard on me as he spent his last moments in my Parent's house (he lived there) in my arms while having a seizure. It was the most dramatic and scary moment of my life. My Grandfather taught me everything I know about carpentry, mechanics, electronics, and plumbing. He was a jack of all trades and a master of many.

Yet, there he was... the man that helped me out everytime I had a car problem, water leak in my house, or even problems in life. He was shaking uncontrollably in my arms and I was helpless to do anything for him. I miss him the same today as the day he passed.

Still, life is far too precious to feel sorry for myself. He wouldn't want it that way. I go through every day knowing I'll see him again, and I really cherish the time I have left with my living Grandfather as he is the last living Grandparent I have.

I also agree that this board has done a lot for me since April. I feel I've made some friends that I would love to meet someday. We all came here for the love of f-bodys, but stayed because of the people. Thanks everyone.
                    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I can relate to all this. My wife passed away in May. Last Thanksgiving she was very sick but insisted on making the whole dinner for my family. We had just bought a house the previous July so she wanted to do it. She pulled it off and we had a wonderful day. I have very few pictures of my wife but we took a bunch that day. I'll always have those memories of her and what she did for me and my family even when she wasn't quite up to it.

I tried to avoid Thanksgiving but couldn't. My sister passed recently as well so I spent the day with my parents and we had a good time remembering those we lost too soon. Some people come and go quick in our lives and some stay for a while. You just never know what tomorrow will bring so you have to appreciate every moment with family, friends and loved ones.........

Comment

Working...
                      X