X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nissan Paint that repairs scratches

NISSAN DEVELOPS WORLD'S FIRST CLEAR PAINT
    THAT REPAIRS SCRATCHES ON CAR SURFACES

TOKYO (Dec. 2, 2005)-- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., has developed the world’s first clear paint that repairs scratches on painted car surfaces, including scratches from car-washing machines, off-road driving and fingernails.

“Scratch Guard Coat” contains a newly developed high elastic resin that helps prevent scratches from affecting the inner layers of a car’s painted surface. With “Scratch Guard Coat” a car’s scratched surface will return to its original state anywhere from one day to a week, depending on temperature and the depth of the scratch.

The water-repellant paint also has a higher resistance to scratches compared with conventional clear paints. A vehicle painted with “Scratch Guard Coat” will have only one-fifth the abrasions caused by a car-washing machine compared with a car covered with conventional clear paint. Scratches from car-washing machines account for the majority of scratches to painted car surfaces.

“Scratch Guard Coat” is effective for about three years.

“Scratch Guard Coat” will be applied for the first time on an SUV model that is scheduled for a partial makeover in the near future. The paint will be applied to the car’s chassis, bumpers, door mirrors, among other parts.

Source: Nissan

And one week later:
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Maybe Sal sold them a few secret recipes?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
      “Scratch Guard Coat”
      LOL I keep wanting to read that as Scotch Guard Coat...

I wonder how Zaino would work on that stuff...?

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
      '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
      Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

I sure would wait before I tried that stuff. Any new advances in paint technology always seem to have issues at first.

I remember when they first started using clear coats on cars. There were numerous issues with it before they finally got it right. My red 1986 Corvette turned "pink" after a few years, all because the clear coat started to yellow. The base coat underneath was still nice and red. I got rid of that car because to do a proper repaint was going to cost $5 grand. And how many people remember all the cars where the clear coat just peeled off after a few years?

Nope.......I'll let someone else try the new technology first.
        2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
          I sure would wait before I tried that stuff. Any new advances in paint technology always seem to have issues at first.

I remember when they first started using clear coats on cars. There were numerous issues with it before they finally got it right. My red 1986 Corvette turned "pink" after a few years, all because the clear coat started to yellow. The base coat underneath was still nice and red. I got rid of that car because to do a proper repaint was going to cost $5 grand. And how many people remember all the cars where the clear coat just peeled off after a few years?

Nope.......I'll let someone else try the new technology first.
          I remember....how upset I was when the clear coat started coming off my '88 Formula...

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
          '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
          Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

The question is going to be two-fold:

Will it be made available as a dealer add-on (in that case, I hope my parts department hopes to add a wing for all the "other" brand vehicles we'll be getting for a top coat).

What happens after 3 years? This is my question. Does it harden and no longer work? Does it eventually wash away after three years and have to be reapplied? Can layers be added on top of it after the three years or will the car have to be wet sanded and buffed out? Can it BE wet sanded and buffed off? How can you match it up if the car gets wrecked? Hopefully Nissan will be sending us some literature on this soon, because we're usually the first ones to find out about this kind of stuff.
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
            X