No More Blue Oval!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Blue Oval!!

Well, we finally got rid of my Wife's troublesome '02 Explorer. I just fixed several small issues with it, and the rear-end decided to start making noise.

Brought it to my Cousin's shop, and sure enough... There were metal shavings everywhere when he pulled the cover off the diff. Not only that, but the rear wheel bearings needed replacing, and the front brake rotors were shot as well.

45,000 miles, and it was falling apart. We decided to take advantage of GM's Red Tag event. They gave us $13,000 as a trade in on the Exploder which was amazing considering the problems, and we picked up a brand new Chevy HHR. Here's a general pic...

We took one off the showroom floor in sport red metallic. With the chrome package, it looks real sharp. The interior is very un-GM like. Fit and finish is tight, and uses better materials than I'm used to seeing.

All together, we got it out the door for $19,000. It's a nice car for the money, and the 30 mpg highway certainly doesn't hurt (compared to the 17 we were getting in the Explorer).
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Good trade imho. I hate Explorers with a passion. lol
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

HHR's look great. I think GM hit a home run on the styling. I've seen a number of them running around. They look deceptively large for their actual size.

I've never been a big fan of SUV's in general. Interior storage room doesn't match their size and, compared with other options it's difficult to load. And don't ever get stuck in a 3rd row seat! I'd rather be riding in the back of an F-body!
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I agree on both replies. I hate Explorers as well. Ours had the third row seat which was completely useless. We bought it used. It had nothing but problems. Glad to be rid of it finally.

The interior of the HHR is what impresses me most. It's really put together nicely. We have the optional 7 speaker Pioneer system. It sounds really clear, especially being coupled with the XM radio.

We were going to get the 5-speed, but as soon as the Wife found out you get remote start with the auto, she changed her mind.
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

Comment

Congrats on the new car. I'll put a plug in for my 2000 AWD Explorer which runs just fine with almost 70K miles on the clock. Would I buy another one? Absolutely not because I don't want any more SUV's. But this one has been dependable and looks as good today as the day we bought it..
          2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
            Congrats on the new car. I'll put a plug in for my 2000 AWD Explorer which runs just fine with almost 70K miles on the clock. Would I buy another one? Absolutely not because I don't want any more SUV's. But this one has been dependable and looks as good today as the day we bought it..
            Thanks. I guess Explorers are like that. You either love them or hate them. My Uncle loved his so much, he bought one for my Aunt. His has over 100,000 miles on it with only minor problems, hers had the transmission rebuilt twice. It's like that with any car really.

It's just too bad I gave Ford a chance and the Explorer soured me on them all over again.
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

Comment

my mom has the 01 explorer sport(u kno the one with the sport trac nose and 2drs?) only thing i dont like bout it is its hard to find a exhuast, intake, or even a axel swap kit( i wanna put the axel on the bottom of the leaf springs istead and it has a torsion bar front suspension) its a nice truck, id prob buy one for a winter use. as for the HHR, gm is starting to get a clue too bad it looks like a PT curiser to me
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                my mom has the 01 explorer sport(u kno the one with the sport trac nose and 2drs?) only thing i dont like bout it is its hard to find a exhuast, intake, or even a axel swap kit( i wanna put the axel on the bottom of the leaf springs istead and it has a torsion bar front suspension) its a nice truck, id prob buy one for a winter use. as for the HHR, gm is starting to get a clue too bad it looks like a PT curiser to me
                The PT Cruiser is it's direct competition. However, seeing them side by side, the HHR looks quite a bit bigger (and is by 8"), plus the lines are much cleaner on the HHR... at least to me. The interior is what really sold me.
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

Comment

the HHR is no doubt a nice looking product its jut that nose that reminds me of the PT. now if they somehow got a v8 under that hood..........
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                    the HHR is no doubt a nice looking product its jut that nose that reminds me of the PT. now if they somehow got a v8 under that hood..........
                    Probably not, but a supercharged Ecotec would go a long way in helping!
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD
                    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I was actually looking under the hood the other day. A small V8 would squeeze in. The bigger problem, however, would be converting it to RWD.
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

Comment

Working...
                      X