Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have trouble with Bosch Platinums?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have trouble with Bosch Platinums?

Does anyone here run Bosch Platinums in there car or have had them before? I did a tune up this weekend to my car since it will probably be sold this week and I noticed a little bit of a stumble very recently and the car just felt sluggish and I was amazed how crappy these plugs are. They didn't even have 5,000 miles on them I just put them in when replacing my motor this summer and they were shot. They didn't look bad at all when I removed them but the difference with a set of Tr55's in there is amazing. I told a friend about this and he said he had the same thing happen in his Explorer when he put a set in. I did my gas milage on the way back to school and picked up almost 4mpg plus I was able to run my car around 1,500 rpms going up the mountains and it didn't struggle at all before I'd have to downshift to 4th. Have any of you had a bad experience with them?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Folks report that the platinum puks fall off after a while. I never had major problems though. I ran them on my last car for 80,000 before changing the first set. I ran the second set for almost 50,000 before I sold the car. Ran like new.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I know there are suposedly posts about the plugs just falling apart, but I have used Bosch platinums on numerous occasions and never had anything fail on them. Noboby I know has ever had a problem with them either. IMO they are a great plug that will last a long time.

Comment

I ran them for a lil over 53K...not one problem. I pulled them out and popped in TR55's... they still looked relatively new. You might have gotten a bad batch.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I ran the Platinum 2's for about 50k without any trouble
          1997 30th Anniversary Z28. Artic White with Hugger Orange Stripes. T-Tops, K&N Cold Air Intake, Mac Headers & High Flow Cats,Flowmaster Cat Back. Auto W/B&M Shifter Plus. Drilled And Slotted Rotors. Steel Braded Brake Lines. Alpine CD/MP3, JL Audio Stealth Box.

Comment

Close to 60K on my +4's with MSD 6AL and no problems! Could be a number of different things causing your problem. Is there a reason you suspect the plugs are bad?
            1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

I suspect that they are bad because after swapping them I picked up nearly 4mpg and was able to run the car at a much lower rpm under load. It had felt a little sluggish and had a small stumble to it which is completely gone now. Maybe it was just a bad batch but changing them made a huge difference.
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Working...
              X