Bad neighborhood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad neighborhood

I'm beginning to wonder about my apartment complex. Couple weeks ago, we had two or three cars right near mine broken into - busted windows, radios gone, that sort of thing. Of course, I have a stock radio, so that's probably why they didn't break into mine.

And I just now had a cop at my door telling me a car that parks a few spaces over from mine was stolen Thursday night. He wanted to know if I had seen anything since the windows of my apartment look out over where it was stolen from. Unfortunately, I didn't see anything, so I wasn't any help.

The car that was stolen was evidently a riced-out "lowrider" Honda. So obviously the thief has no taste but still I feel sorry for the owner. Makes me wonder if my car is safe. Of course, the guy next to me has a Harley Davidson edition F150, with Foose wheels, so they'd probably go for that before my plain old V6 Camaro. But who knows.

Some people are just rotten.

2001 Camaro V6, stock

Man that's tough i feel bad for all the people who lost or had their cars damaged, hope yours stays safe though, gotta just keep a close eye on it and hope the police do some drive bys to keep an eye on things.
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to stop a theif if they're really determined to steal a car. After watching a special on repo men, I was amazed at what can be done with the right knowledge.

One way of looking at it is to make you're car more difficult to steal than the ones around it. A brake and stearing wheel lock, something like that. If it were me, I might even hook up my usb camera to snap a pic every 15 seconds or so, if there's a window that overlooks the car. Also, there's the little things, like making sure you're car doesn't have anything appealing, like CD's, visible.

Just some ideas...
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I mean i know alarms dont work all that great but if u hook up like a "crazy" loud horn, it would do something. A buddy of mine had a Honda and he got an alarm, and it still got broken into. So what we did is buy one of those industrial size air horns and placed it right under the rear bumper. Oh man that thing was heard from a half mile away, and we also programed the alarm to when it goes off there is not way possible to shut it off unless with the remote, since we hooked up all the hardware for the alarm under the rear seat. Oh yes they tried breaking into it, but my buddy and the rest of the town was outside within the minute.. ha ha ha. Just keep in mind that if u do something like that, make sure the sensor is not to sensitive. ha ah ha.
        But whatever u decide to do, hope it works.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
          I mean i know alarms dont work all that great but if u hook up like a "crazy" loud horn, it would do something. A buddy of mine had a Honda and he got an alarm, and it still got broken into. So what we did is buy one of those industrial size air horns and placed it right under the rear bumper. Oh man that thing was heard from a half mile away, and we also programed the alarm to when it goes off there is not way possible to shut it off unless with the remote, since we hooked up all the hardware for the alarm under the rear seat. Oh yes they tried breaking into it, but my buddy and the rest of the town was outside within the minute.. ha ha ha. Just keep in mind that if u do something like that, make sure the sensor is not to sensitive. ha ah ha.
          But whatever u decide to do, hope it works.
          I prefer the silent approach. Get a pager accessory for a car alarm and hook it directly to the dome light. When the pager goes off it's time to call the cops and sneak out with a camera and a cell phone. Take his picture a few times. If he sees you and runs, follow him and call 911 on the cell phone.. If he wants to stay and fight just explain to him that you already called the cops before you came outside and you've got his picture. Own him.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Man...I just remembered. I had seen a site where they had a program that could track a cell phone using the E911 system. They said you could use a Boost Mobile Prepaid phone. So you just leave the phone on and hidden in the car. If the car goes bye-bye, you just log in and see where it is. I'll see if I can find it...

Here 'tis...It's called mologogo.

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive..._mologogo.html

And here's a page where you can access the aplet for the phone...
            http://www.mologogo.com/
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I agree with Joe, a web cam would be a very good idea. You could monitor your car on our computer, and record for evidence if anything happens. I wish I had that when my car was vandalized.
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

a web cam will only provide pictures of your car going by-by

you can try http://www.ravelco.com <-- darned good product
                Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                pics and info

Comment

well i have a simalar problem, the other day my mom noticed 2 guys walking down the street and they stoped and looked at my car, in the pass. window and then the back of my car underneath and everything, so then she saw them walk across the street to my neightbor's mountainer and looked in the back window and then walked away not looking at any other cars it was almost like they were looking for a system or something in the mountainer but all i know is its got me a lil paranoid
                  2000 Trans Am 6spd LS1
                  Stock...for now

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
                    you can try http://www.ravelco.com <-- darned good product
                    That's an interesting setup. I suppose it connects to multiple systems and you'd have to follow each lead to connect the right ones together to drive the car off. Only way to get around that is with a lot of patience or a tow truck. Either way a big pain in the butt.
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                      That's an interesting setup. I suppose it connects to multiple systems and you'd have to follow each lead to connect the right ones together to drive the car off. Only way to get around that is with a lot of patience or a tow truck. Either way a big pain in the butt.
                      yeah, theives cannot start and drive away with your car if 1/2 of the electrical system is missing. And an alarm systm with GPS tracking or lojack as a back up if they have a tow truck would make it perfect.
                      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                      pics and info

Comment

Working...
                      X