Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non F-body technical question.... clicking in drivetrain....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non F-body technical question.... clicking in drivetrain....

My 2000 Dodge Caravan makes a metallic clicking sound when driving. It seems to be related to vehicle speed, and not rpm. It seems to be coming from the driver's side wheel, but I'm not sure if it's just because that's the side I'm on so I'm hearing it through that window. It sounds like a a kid who has a baseball card stuck in his bicycle spokes, but a little more metallic. Any idea on where to start diagnosing this? Keep in mind it's a FWD vehicle. 3.0 L V6 engine.

Thanks.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Sounds like a CV axle going South to me. They're very inexpensive and can be had at any local auto parts store. And they are very easy to replace as well.

Comment

sounds like a CV joint, go ahead and order one up and make sure if ur doing it urself, u got some big sockets to get the axel nut off, ur gonna have to do unbolt the lower ball joint and the tie-rod end and that should move the strut assembly outta the way enough for ya to pull the axel out
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Our 2001 does the same thing but it sounds like the left rear to me. I haven't had time to get back there to look at it. Ours also makes a noise that sounds like the front right CV joint too. Both are pretty faint.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Mine is getting pretty loud. At certain speeds it doesn't do it, but most of the time it's constantly there. The van only has 72,000 miles on it. Shouldn't a CV joint have lasted longer than that?
          Dave M

Comment

yes or no dont matter, like a honda could last 400K or last just 136K. we put a cv joint in a car with only 40K cuz the boot split. but my beater car hasnt had a cv joint problem and it has 150K on it

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I would think it is a bearing. The reason is; usually a cv joint will only click when turning the wheel. And then usually it only does it at low speeds because you turn more at lower speeds. Try jacking the front up and wiggle the wheel(when looking at the face of the wheel, grab at the bottom and pull towards yourself). If it wiggles, then you know it is the bearing. If it doesnt wiggle, unfortunately it doesnt rule it out as being the culprit. Also check the rubber boots on the axles for tears. If there are tears in the rubber, you should replace either the cv joint or the complete axle. I find it much easier to replace the complete axle to save yourself a headache. Changing just the cv joint can be a big pita. Good luck...
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
              1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
              1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
              1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
              1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
              <Motor out

Comment

cj joint/axel are the same thing to me did u kno that now they are making new half shafts instead of the standard rebuilt ones? oh and the best way to tell if the boot is ripped, look round the spindle, there should be grease if the boot is ripped

Comment

I don't think it's a CV joint. There isn't any noise on low speed turns like I'm used too with CV joints. Just a speed-related clicking when above 30 mph or so.
                  Dave M

Comment

Working...
                  X