Sake?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sake?

Just curious, are their any sake drinkers here? I was always curious as to how sake tasted and I'm considering buying a bottle or two. If you had to compare sake with any other traditional liquor what would you compare it to?

Thanks
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

well im not technically legally able to say this but i like it, my friend is koren and his family ships it over i thought it tasted good, i liked it better then most of the rum or whiskey but thats because it was real sake not paint thiner called sake if you are just considering buy a smaller bottle, and make sure it is from a good source lets just say if you can read the label without a translator then i'd suggest a different one
    1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

I've had it a couple times. It's served warm and if you drink enough of it you will go hunt bear with a switch.

I was in Japan on business and we had a meeting with some company executives which we were in dealings with. We were sitting at a little table on the floor with a fire pit underneath and eating these little barbecued sparrows on a stick, bones & all. Since I was one of the guests of honor I also got treated to a big snail which was impossible to chew, and tasted just how it looks. We had these little cups of sake about the size of a shot glass, and anytime you drank yours up, someone would refill it from a little white bottle shaped like a dove. After we all got plastered on sake, the guys brought out a bottle of scotch, and we had some of that too. Pretty soon I felt like blowing chow, but those guys then wanted to go do karoake and wanted me to sing some Elvis tune, but i couldn't see the words anymore so I had to lose face and wimp out. The next morning we were all in a business meeting and those guys were already talking about what we were going to do that night. I was sick as a dog.

Comment

Seems to me like sake is simply rice wine. It comes in a wide variety of qualities. The good stuff is generally served chilled slightly, but can be warmed slightly. Cheaper stuff gets warmed up. Its really very pleasant to drink. The good stuff seems smoother and more subtle in its flavors. Goes well with sushi and sashimi.

You can get a reasonable feel for what its like by getting a cheap bottle of Gekkeikan or some other mass produced sake. Its like buying a cheap bottle of "table wine". Anything more expensive can only get better.

This site has a ton of info on sake:

http://www.sake-world.com/
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i like sake more than most other rum and liquors...it's smooth and more pleasant.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Ah just drink Bud like the good ol boys an be happy.
            Blazer

Comment

Thanks for all the posts guys. I have been trying to find a place local that sells good sake but so far no luck. And so far I have not been able to find a true Japanese restaurant but you can't throw a rock in this town without hitting a Chinese restaurant. http://www.esake.com/Store/us-lineup.html This seems like a good place to buy online (guess that is the only way I will be able to buy what I want) but how is your age verified when you make an online purchase in which alcohol is involved?
              1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Comment

some place don't verify your age, thats how a lot of the college freshman get a hold of their liquor...
                1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

Working...
                X