question about oil filter magnet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about oil filter magnet

So what do you guys think about them. They're the things that wrap around the oil filter and are supposed to attract all the metal shavings. Do you know if they work? Well enough to justify the cost? Are there any harmful side affects? Any input would be great. Thanks, Ryan.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

I personally like the idea, but cannot justify the cost of bought one,

All you need is a small magnet about the size of a pennie / dime... Superglue it on to side or end of filter, hey presto! I got mine off old cupboard magnetic closer (free! no cost!) and use it again and again!

It will pick up smaller particals than the filter medium can...

Best way to keep your oil clean is to change it though, I change mine every 5000miles... But I believe magnet idea will help as an extra...
    Screaming Mad
    Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
    Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
    0-60 7.74
    1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

the only side effect I know of is, if you forget to take off your rings while you change your oil.......your fingers might get stuck to it............

bwahahahahaahahahaaaa

like any other of that stuff...my theory is: if its soooooo good, why dont the O.E. folks use it as standard equipment.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Screaming mad

All you need is a small magnet about the size of a pennie / dime... Superglue it on to side or end of filter, hey presto! I got mine off old cupboard magnetic closer (free! no cost!) and use it again and again!
        Thats exactly why i asked
        2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
          like any other of that stuff...my theory is: if its soooooo good, why dont the O.E. folks use it as standard equipment.
          Could not the same be said for aftermarket exhaust systems? K&N air filters? Tires? Shifters? et cetera?
          R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
            Could not the same be said for aftermarket exhaust systems? K&N air filters? Tires? Shifters? et cetera?
            no, thats why i said "this kind of stuff".

for instance, the thermo limiter, that norm halem invented for his wifes vaga back in the late 70's, that gm bought the patent for and is now standard on every model made by the big three.... senses vacuum drop and cuts tha a/c compressor off .....on wot..... the other stuff helps cut down costs, and is fine for the average consumer.....regs, noise levels, low bid..yada yada... but a magnent for picking up metla shavings could prevent an engine rebuild or short block replacement under warranty....... which cost them booookooooo.... thats different.....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

That is what a magnetic drain plug is for. Those are done by the manufacturers. The only difference is the magnet actually touches the oil, not an external item that is magnitized. I don't suppose adding one would hurt.

Comment

Complete waste of time and money. Because of the design and path of the oil galley, by the time a metal particle large enough to be "trapped" by a magnet located on or near the filter it would have already done it's damage. The magnet on the drain plug is plenty sufficient.

Also the majority of the stuff that is attracted to the drain plug is honing slurry and residual casting debris from the factory. If you are actually capturing pieces of metal large enough to be seen by the naked eye, something is very wrong with your motor.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                  Complete waste of time and money. Because of the design and path of the oil galley, by the time a metal particle large enough to be "trapped" by a magnet located on or near the filter it would have already done it's damage. The magnet on the drain plug is plenty sufficient.

Also the majority of the stuff that is attracted to the drain plug is honing slurry and residual casting debris from the factory. If you are actually capturing pieces of metal large enough to be seen by the naked eye, something is very wrong with your motor.
                  The thing is i don't have a magnetic drain plug. I checked that already. So what about putting one of those little round magnets in the oil pan like the one in the transmission pan?
                  2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                    The thing is i don't have a magnetic drain plug. I checked that already. So what about putting one of those little round magnets in the oil pan like the one in the transmission pan?
                    You can get a magnetic pulg at an auto parts store. Mine was only $3.00, cheap insurance.

If you put a magnet in the oil pan, then you'd have to pull the pan to put it in, to clean the magnet, to just even see whats on it...the reason they put one in the trans pan is it doesn't have a drain plug, also because of the much longer service life of the trans fluid.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                    X