That thing got a Hemi?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That thing got a Hemi?

Why yes.....as a matter of fact it has 4 Hemis.

It is the Summer Brothers land speed record car which in 1965 set the land speed record of 409.227 mph. These were unblown naturally aspirated Hemis to boot. Best of all this record still stands today as the worlds fastest naturally aspirated wheel driven vehicle.

Here is an excellent story on the car from Hot Rod Magazine.
    http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...old/index.html
    2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Originally posted by Dave-S
    Why yes.....as a matter of fact it has 4 Hemis.

It is the Summer Brothers land speed record car which in 1965 set the land speed record of 409.227 mph. These were unblown naturally aspirated Hemis to boot. Best of all this record still stands today as the worlds fastest naturally aspirated wheel driven vehicle.

Here is an excellent story on the car from Hot Rod Magazine.
    http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...old/index.html
    409 MPH, that's it?? My riding lawn mower will outrun that thing!

I remember the Summer Brothers. I think that one pictured was called the Golden Rod. For a long time I was fascinated with all those land speed record chasers. I also remember the Spirit of America, the Blue Flame, and of course the Thrust SSC II which was the first land vehicle to break the speed of sound.

Comment

I miss all those multiple engine cars they used to have back then. Now you see them on tractor pull competitions. I always wondered how they synchronized them to the same speed.

As far as the "Hemi" craze goes, my 50 year old Harley has a "Hemi". The original hemi chamber/piston shape is an antiquated design prone to detonation. Man, I'm sick of hearing about it and, even though it's an advertising coup for the car manufacturers, I wish they would let the legends live on in the past and come up with new names for their cars. I guess if you make it a household word, all the sheeple will want one...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
        I miss all those multiple engine cars they used to have back then. Now you see them on tractor pull competitions. I always wondered how they synchronized them to the same speed.

As far as the "Hemi" craze goes, my 50 year old Harley has a "Hemi". The original hemi chamber/piston shape is an antiquated design prone to detonation. Man, I'm sick of hearing about it and, even though it's an advertising coup for the car manufacturers, I wish they would let the legends live on in the past and come up with new names for their cars. I guess if you make it a household word, all the sheeple will want one...
        I'll never forget the first tractor pull I went to when I was a kid. Wasn't near as loud as the top fuelers I had heard, but they still shook your bones and thumped your chest when they drove by. Especially the indoor pulls.

I've seen a few of those tractors up close. They "tie" all the motors together through the crankshafts. On the back and front of each crank there is a small stubby output shaft with a large sprocket bolted onto it. The two sprockets are butted together face to face. They then place an endlink chain over the two adjoining gears to tie togther the crankshafts. Looks just like an oversized cam sprocket with a double roller chain. There is also that episode of Monster Garage where Jesse builds a tractor with twin blown 540's and they show you how they do it.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
          I'll never forget the first tractor pull I went to when I was a kid. Wasn't near as loud as the top fuelers I had heard, but they still shook your bones and thumped your chest when they drove by. Especially the indoor pulls.
          I was just going to mention those multiple blown alcohol Rodecks make an awesome sound. It's quite a spectacle.

Comment

Hemi

The only place the Hemi design seems to shine is in Top Fuel, and some blown Alcohol. None of those parts are Mopar by the way, all custom pieces. The new "Hemi" being put in cars today is not a true Hemispherical chamber as were the older designs. In NHRA Pro Stock it is still the Canted valve head that does the most winning, as the new Hemi has only been able to win a couple of events in 2 years, while Anderson by himself has won many with his GM design.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Vince
              The only place the Hemi design seems to shine is in Top Fuel, and some blown Alcohol. None of those parts are Mopar by the way, all custom pieces. The new "Hemi" being put in cars today is not a true Hemispherical chamber as were the older designs. In NHRA Pro Stock it is still the Canted valve head that does the most winning, as the new Hemi has only been able to win a couple of events in 2 years, while Anderson by himself has won many with his GM design.
              It's still amazing that the fueler's are still going faster and faster even after the most recent 85% Nitro rule. They went down to right around 6.0:1 compression and upped the hit to about 56 PSI.

Should also be an interesting year in IHRA. They announced they will be bringing back Top Fuel funny cars this year. Should be some good races.

Comment

Working...
              X