X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTO To be DIscontinued

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...t=newsletter08
    1967 Firebird. Needs a lot of work!
    1976 Black Trans Am. 400 bb, auto. 75% restored.
    2001 Black Firebird.
    2005 Legend Lime Mustang GT, SLP Axleback Loudmouths

"Cars are Like Parachutes, if the Main one fails, pull the reserve out "

I wonder if this means that we may see a new firebird along with the new camaro?
    No F-Body right now

Comment

I wonder what the prices are going to do on used ones.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

wolfdogs.....yet another rare car in the stable..... oh darn.....

old news man.....saw it comming last year......

sad in one way, good in another.....

i have a Manaro in Pontiac Skin. plain and simple. I like... it'll do for now......

Firebird? nope, not yet...

heck, they just shut down the Trailblazer and Envoy plant today.......

gm is hurting. lets hope the Camaro happens!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Bob Lutz recently stated not to expect a Firebird based off of a Camaro citing past rebadging as a reason not to do it. Of courese he may be ignoring the Pontiac Cobalt about to be sold in the U.S.. He didn't say "No Firebird" but I wouldn't be holding my breath right now.

The GTO'd Monaro was always going to be a 3 year run. The Monaro is now discontinued. As GTO was a stopgap and they don't have a replacement car next year, I'd have to say it's bad planning or the platform won't be available for an '07 car. We may yet see a GTO as a larger Zeta Coupe...but as in Camaro's case I suppose it's on haitus.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I know it's not the same but you are going to see Pontiac slinging a ~25k Turbo Solstice that'll run neck and neck with our LS1 cars stock for stock.

With a little tuning those cars are going to be nasty. So Pontiac will still have a performance car.

Comment

Originally posted by toddwirges
              I know it's not the same but you are going to see Pontiac slinging a ~25k Turbo Solstice that'll run neck and neck with our LS1 cars stock for stock.

With a little tuning those cars are going to be nasty. So Pontiac will still have a performance car.
              Mallett already got their hands on the Solstice. For just over $37K, this is what you get:

2006 Mallett Pontiac Solstice V8
              BASE PRICE: $37,995 (including $19,995 for the Solstice)
              POWERTRAIN: 6.0-liter, 400-hp, 395-lb-ft V8; rwd, five-speed manual
              CURB WEIGHT: 3010 lbs
              0 TO 60 MPH: 4.2 seconds (mfr.)

SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I totaly agree, pontiac sporty car will be the Solstice and I think it's a car that will sell varry varry well.

GM is leaking cash like the titanic after the iceberg but they do have some good desirable models comming out, they just have to advertize them well and they will sell. The C6 as a hardtop convertable won the most disirable car for women in a poll earlier this year (CNN), it was a poll where men and women were asked what cars they most wanted. I think the Enzo won for guys...

Models that haven't taken off like GM wanted will have to be put aside while GM tightens there belt but once they get past the hurttle they will be able to expand again. The GTO, Firebird and Camaro will return but when they need all there high profile cars to hit grand slams in sales just to servive we may have to wait.

I think GM's problem is wanting the must have markets where they can get a larger mark up per unit. They did it with SUVs so when when the market is in flux they are lost where Toyota just slugs away and focuses on development of what they already have mostly, for there products to become the most desirable.
                94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

wow that soltice is BAD. 400hp @ 3000 lb's and only 0-60 in 4.2 tho? Bad ride dude.

GTO shoulda never been sold. Not as a GTO anyway. Coulda been the GTP-8 or something. GM releasing that car made them look bad.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                    wow that soltice is BAD. 400hp @ 3000 lb's and only 0-60 in 4.2 tho? Bad ride dude.

GTO shoulda never been sold. Not as a GTO anyway. Coulda been the GTP-8 or something. GM releasing that car made them look bad.

I'm sure that was very traction limited!
                    Dave M
                    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                      I wonder if this means that we may see a new firebird along with the new camaro?
                      doubtfull, but would be nice.
                      1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                        I'm sure that was very traction limited!
                        Yeah... Not nearly enough weight to hold 395 lb-ft of torque to the ground. Hopefully, Mallett will consider doing the same thing to the Saturn Sky. I prefer the sharper lines of the Saturn even though I'm a Pontiac guy.
                        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

DANG! That Mallett Solstice is sinister! I'd love to get my hands on one...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

bye bye. It's been fun.
                            LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I read an article in the paper yesterday that said that it was being dicontinued due to the high cost of re-designing the air bags to meet 2007 standards. Anyone hear, or know anything about this? I highly doubt this is the cause.
                              1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Working...
                              X