Scam!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam!

Guys, I think my brother is getting hit for the okie.

Here's the story. My brother was selling his paintball gun (Vision Impulse) for $300.00. He found a buyer...in the UK!! He told my bro that he would by the gun and that he would send a check through a company that he works for.

This is where it gets fishy. He said that we would ship to his "client" and then his "client" would take care of the rest. Hmmmm...

Then yesterday, we get a check for $260,500 from a compay called StarCom. The check looks legit, but it looks like a check from VersaCheck. I know because I dealt with the software with my old business and the check from StarCom looks just like plain printed checks. Thing is, for a company that size, they sure aren't using real fancy checks. The ink looks like laser, not micr...can you say homemade?

When my brother told me what was happening I knew it was a scam...sounds so much like the car scam where they over pay.

This guy must think my bro is an idiot. I want to nail this guy...how do we do it!?

This is his reply to my bros' ad:

Hello ,
    Thanks for your response and i will want you to know that i am okay with the price of gun ($300), firsly i will want to bring to your awareness that i live in Kent,UK,regarding payment . A client of mine is owning me some funds in United State ($4,500),I will instruct him to issue the check for you,as he has promise you will receive the check very faster,and as soon as the check clear.

You will deduct the cost of the gun ($300),and the remaining balance will be Send to My Shipper via Western Union Money Transfer for immediately Shipping Arrangment of the wedding dress from your location, so you don't have to worry about the shipping of the wedding dress as i have a reputable shipping company that's handle all my oversea's shippment so you don't have to worry.

Do get back to me If this is okay by you with your information (Full Name, Contact Address, Phone Number),so that i can forward it to my Client to issue the check for you ASAP. Hope to hear from you soonest.

Best Regards,
    Scott.
    NB.i will wait for the check to clear before pickup from your location

There's email in between saking if he got the check or what not:

Hello ,
    How are you today,i receive a phone call from my client now that you could have receive the check by now.So i want you to get back to me if the check has arrived so that i can instruct you on what to do next.

Waiting to hear from you soon.
    Thanks.

My bro gets a check for $260,500 and is like "WTF?!" So he shoots him this email:

Hi,
    I do believe that I have recieved your check. Could you give me the amount along with the company name for security pruposes, please? Thank you and sorry for the delay.

And the guy's reply:

Thanks for your mail and for the confirmation of the check received,but i will want to confirm to you that the amount on the check is $250,000 and i will want you to go ahead and deposite the check in the bank today and i will want you to confirm to when the check will clear in your bank,so we can know the next step or what to do next.

Waiting to hear from you soon.

This idiot doesn't even know how much was sent...this is a scam, and I want to take this dirtbag down...but how?

What scam is this? This angers me and I want this guy to go down!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

I received an email a couple of days ago from a guy who wanted to buy an ashtray assembly for a caprice I have listed on another fourm. My description says "give me $10 to cover shipping and its yours"....well, he asks me how much for the ashtray and shipping....

Here's the clincher, he uses a name, that I cant exactly recall now, but was the same name involved in an attempt to do the car scam on me a couple of years ago.

As far as how to prosecute these shady individuals, it is getting harder due to wi-fi areas and people being able to change their IP address. But, if the address on the emails is all the same, I believe you can have a chance on busting them, especially since you have a 'physical' check in your possesion.

There used to be a link on the FBI website that would detail what you could do to help in prosecution, might want to go to their site and see if there is anything that could be of help....

Good luck ridding the world of this (or these) losers...
    Tom Rawlinson
    1998 Z28
    94k and counting...

Comment

Have you got full adress or phone number for this guy...?

Were gettin lotsa scams with credit cards etc over here at moment..

If you got any details please pm me..
      Screaming Mad
      Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
      Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
      0-60 7.74
      1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

It seems fishy too, that he would speak english well enough to make it sound like he doesnt. And youd think that if he had a "reputable shipping company" to handle ALL of his overseas purchases then he would speak better anyway so he can deal with people in a business setting more professionally. I definately agree that this sounds like a scam, and you should do what you can to nail this guy, scammers are rotten
        -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

It is a scam. I don't think there's much you can do.

Try contacting the post office and bust him for mail fraud maybe?

I dont really think there is anything you can do. He's overseas and you don't know anything about him. It's too bad, cause you can't stop him from doing it to somebody else.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I think if a stranger trusts me with 260,000 for 300 in merchandise, I am going to know it is a scam. I can see him maybe pulling it off on someone like if the check were for 500 and an item were 300.

Comment

I wouldn't deposit it, I'd try to cash it
              Richard Harvey Jr.
              '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

^^^ really, then you can get 5 of those camaros posted in one of the other threads!!!

And i thought that banks flagged any diposits over 5,000 dollars or something like that, you'd have someone from the government calling you about your deposit if its that big, let us know how all this turns out though, these things are becoming eway to frequent these days.
                -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Well, I told me brother to tell him we deposited the check and it'll be awhile till it clears. Also asking him for his shipping address. We'll see if he replies and how the cookie crumbles.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                  X