Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI...Dana Corp in Chapter 11

From the Wall Street Journal...

Dana Corp. filed for Chapter 11, making it the latest automotive supplier to seek bankruptcy-court protection.

The Toledo, Ohio, company, which makes brakes, axles and other parts, listed $7.9 billion in assets and $6.8 billion in debts. Dana said its bankruptcy filing was prompted by declining revenue associated with a downturn in the U.S. auto market along with increases in commodity and energy prices. The filing was entered in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.

"The general financial condition of the industry, together with Dana's inability to renew or expand its credit facilities in a timely manner, has significantly constrained Dana's liquidity," the company said in a statement.

Dana's shares plunged this week after the company failed to make bond coupon payments Wednesday worth $20.8 million. Standard & Poor's and Moody's Investors Service, the two main credit rating agencies, both downgraded their ratings of Dana on Thursday. Fitch Ratings did likewise on Friday.

The company said it has secured a $1.45 billion debtor-in-possession loan provided by Citigroup, Bank of America and J.P. Morgan Chase to fund its operations during its bankruptcy case. Dana will continue operating and said filing for Chapter 11 should provide it with access to necessary capital to implement its business plan and complete the restructuring it began before the bankruptcy filing.

"All of this will enable the debtors to maintain a strong employee and customer base and thereby preserve their position as a leader in the engineering, manufacturing and distribution of automotive, commercial vehicle and off-highway systems and components," Dana Chief Executive Michael J. Burns said in court papers filed with the bankruptcy petition Friday.

Dana owes a group of noteholders $1.6 billion. The company also owes its bank lenders, led by Citicorp, $377 million and has an additional $225 million in debt secured by accounts receivable. The company also said it owes trade creditors about $550 million.

The supplier has been under scrutiny since it reported a steep third-quarter loss in January with re-stated results due to an accounting investigation. Dana, which has annual sales of about $9 billion, hired the restructuring firms Miller Buckfire & Co. and AlixPartners to help with its financial and operational issues. Dana was also being pushed by some of its vendors to make payments in advance, according to attorneys representing vendors to Dana. (See article.1)

A number of longtime auto suppliers, including Delphi Corp. and Collins & Aikman Corp., have filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection during the past year. Visteon Corp., the nation's second biggest auto parts supplier, is closing three plants and putting another six up for sale under its restructuring plan.

Dana, which supplies parts to General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and other automakers, employs about 46,000 workers world-wide. The filing doesn't affect the company's operations in Europe, South America, Asia, Mexico or Canada, the company said.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Auto industry

Thank our government for not protecting any of our industries with import tariffs like all other countries do. Back in the late 60s' Chevrolet by itself sold over 1.5 million cars. Now all of GM dosen't do that. I was told that when we send a car to Japan they hit it with 10 times the import duties that we do here. China is now taking over most of the manufacturing for this country. How can you compete with 50 cents an hour labor? What are we going to become a country of lawyers, and other non producers? It seems to be the direction we are going in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Vince
      Thank our government for not protecting any of our industries with import tariffs like all other countries do. Back in the late 60s' Chevrolet by itself sold over 1.5 million cars. Now all of GM dosen't do that. I was told that when we send a car to Japan they hit it with 10 times the import duties that we do here. China is now taking over most of the manufacturing for this country. How can you compete with 50 cents an hour labor? What are we going to become a country of lawyers, and other non producers? It seems to be the direction we are going in.
      Couldn't disagree with you more. On any of this.

Oh well I guess... I suppose it's the court of public opinion that is ultimately going to end up mattering the most. It never has mattered whether or not that public opinion is based on education, research, studies, and experience - or if it was based on an emotional knee-jerk reaction.

Sure. Blame the government. It's all their fault. None of the responsibility falls on the companies - for building drastically inferior products 15+ years ago (many of which still haven't caught up to their competition today), or for failing to be strong enough to negotiate realistic contracts with labor unions, or for allowing bean counters to determine the direction of the company as opposed to innovators.

Your attitude is a microcosm of why we're in this situation. No one wants to take responsibility and own up to the requirements of managing a company in a competitive market. All you want to do is play "the victim".

Keep looking out the window to try and find someone else to blame. The answer is staring back at you in the mirror.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Dana is inferior? Hmm...Thats a first for me.
        I guess this is all of America's punishment for big corporations getting sloppy with auto production 15-20 years ago.
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by carguy100200
          Dana is inferior? Hmm...Thats a first for me.
          I guess this is all of America's punishment for big corporations getting sloppy with auto production 15-20 years ago.
          Admittedly, I don't know much about Dana - I was more referring to the mention of General Motors and Chevy in the previous post. In that case, yes we're still paying the price for the crap they rolled out years ago. It built a reputation that they still have not been able to correct - again - in the court of public opinion. But the inferior reputation is only a part of the equation. The failure to negotiate realistic contracts with labor unions is another major problem.

Also, in case you haven't heard of this, Consumer Reports just released their top 10 cars and not a single one was from an American company. This certainly won't help the court of public opinion.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
            ..... The filing doesn't affect the company's operations in Europe, South America, Asia, Mexico or Canada, the company said.
            That part is good news.... the T56 is made by Tremec in Mexico and Tremec is part of Transmission Technologies Corp., a joint venture of DESC Group (Mexico) and Dana Corp.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X