2006 Impala ss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Impala ss

What do ya'll think about the 2006 Impala SS with the 5.3 V-8?

I test drove one today and was VERY impressed with acceleration, interior stylling, etc. The body sits a little high and the wheels are clunky, but overall I was really impressed. Price was a shade under $30k.

BTW--I also test drove a Corvette--WOW!!!! Price on this babe was about $50k. I'm thinking about it!!

The ragtop rolled 101,000 miles today--I think it may be time to make a change-- What do you think???
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

VETTE VETTE VETTE!! You can't go from a Z to an Impala, that'd be a step backwards. The Vette is the right choice, if you can afford it.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Call me crazy, maybe it's because my wife and I will be starting a family, but I liked the Malibu Maxx SS. I crawled all around one at an auto show and it offers a lot for a wagon wannabe. I loved the interior versatility. I'd love to see how one drives.

But yeah, for a front driver, the Impala SS is a nice deal. V8 power in a large sedan. How was the handling? I'm sure there was a decent amount of push around turns. What was your opinion of the torque steer? I've heard it's present but definitely managable.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Interesting that you ask about the steering.

I live in Texas where we have these hide and seek (at least that's what I call them) entrance ramps onto the interstates. The salesman told me to take it onto the highway. It is just happens that the entrace ramp is just over a low rise and you could not see how quick it was coming and how abrupt the turn was onto the highway. Moving at about 55 or so, I cleared the hill and had to make a quick left onto the highway ramp. The response was pretty good, but it took a quick tug on the wheel and I could feel the tailend whip just a bit. Scared the s--t out of the salesman !:-) Got my heart pumping a bit too. Guess that's why it's 'the heartbeat of America.' hahaha

I think that is one of the not so good points about the FWD though. It wasn't bad, but you sure could tell it wasn't RWD. Other than that one thing, it handled well and had plenty of power. I was actually surpised.

I think, though, the electronics could be distracting since the instrument cluster has one readout that shows the curent MPG, and it's constantly changing even for minoot adjsutments of the the gas pedal. (This is the V-8 that has the computer that shuts off 4 cylinders for better fuel economy. I saw everything from 3 mpg to 70 mpg during a short 15 minute test drive.)
        2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
          I think, though, the electronics could be distracting since the instrument cluster has one readout that shows the curent MPG, and it's constantly changing even for minoot adjsutments of the the gas pedal. (This is the V-8 that has the computer that shuts off 4 cylinders for better fuel economy. I saw everything from 3 mpg to 70 mpg during a short 15 minute test drive.)
          My wife's Sebring has the same milage meter. It's off to the side, but I find myself looking at it a lot. In certain circumstances I've seen readings of 99mpg. They are accurate though. I've done the math a number of times on the average fuel economy reading. When I have it on I find myself driving much more conservatively. I think the world would drive much more sanely if most cars had them. It's amazing how it'll change your mindset.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
            My wife's Sebring has the same milage meter. It's off to the side, but I find myself looking at it a lot. In certain circumstances I've seen readings of 99mpg. They are accurate though. I've done the math a number of times on the average fuel economy reading. When I have it on I find myself driving much more conservatively. I think the world would drive much more sanely if most cars had them. It's amazing how it'll change your mindset.

LOL, i do the same thing. Never floor the car with it on, 1mpg isn't fun to see.
            2006 Saturn Ion Redline
            2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I'm so glad I dont have one in my Formula, The 383 super ram probably gets 3gpm on accelleration and 1gpm on crusing

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
              6.2L/382.97 ci
              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
              WCT-5 speed
              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
              Boss MS 18" Rims
              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
              Custom Dual exhaust
              1LE upgrade
              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
              In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                In certain circumstances I've seen readings of 99mpg.
                MPG readouts will hit 99 MPG when the engine is coasting and the computer pulls the fuel out. There is a name for that mode of operation, but it is slipping my mind.

In essence, the pcm completely shuts off the injectors and the forward momentum of the car in gear or with the TC locked keeps the engine spinning.

As soon as you step on the gas a little, the PCM adds the fuel back in.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                X