Anyone into WWII airplanes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone into WWII airplanes?

I just started building this scale R/C P51 airplane. Here's the progress so far.. My cat wouldn't move

I'm putting a 4 stroke motor on it, and retractable landing gear to make it look/sound as scale as possible.. Hopefully will finish it soon.. Just need to buy a motor, I'm still trying to decide on what size/kind and if I can hook a smoke system up to it too..

Should be pretty hot when finished, and I KNOW I'm going to be scared shitless on it's maiden
    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Nice. I have the 140 size powered by an OS MAX 160.

Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

How does it fly? How do you like the directions?!?! I must of swore a hundred times so far putting this thing together!!

Comment

Very cool! I had a P-47 years ago that was crushed in a move. Once I finish the F-22, I think I'm going to go for another vintage warbird. Maybe a P-51 or even a P-38.
        That looks like a decent size. What is the wingspan?

Comment

Nice planes all around. I love that kind of stuff. That's a hobby I'll get into when the kids are grown.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
            How does it fly? How do you like the directions?!?! I must of swore a hundred times so far putting this thing together!!
            They fly extremely well for being all fiberglass/plastic. Make sure you balance it right before your maiden flight. It's better to be nose heavy than tail heavy. As for the instructions, yea, they do suck. CMP (China Models) is the name of the company so that explains the Chinese instructions. But since I've been building them for over a year now, you kinda know where everything goes without them.

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            Very cool! I had a P-47 years ago that was crushed in a move. Once I finish the F-22, I think I'm going to go for another vintage warbird. Maybe a P-51 or even a P-38.
            That looks like a decent size. What is the wingspan?
            I just had a P-47 I put together last Spring and sold it on Ebay last Summer. It had a 60" wingspan powered by an OS MAX 46 AX. The P-51 has a 72" wingspan. Warbirds is all I fly.

Check out GiantScalePlanes.Com for their entire selection. But a warning for beginners: this hobby can get get very expensive!
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

One of my favorite planes is my Boeing 747. 4 ducted fans, this thing flies high and far. Looks incredible in the air too. It is still relatively small, about a 50" wingspan. Here's my son just before his first flight with the Jumbo Jet.

And like I said, she gets up there. This is on max zoom at an altitude of about 700 ft.

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
                Nice planes all around. I love that kind of stuff. That's a hobby I'll get into when the kids are grown.
                Why wait? It's great stuff to do for some quality time with the kids!

Comment

Why wait? It's great stuff to do for some quality time with the kids!
                  I agree, but my kids are 5, 2, and 1. I want to wait until the boy (the 1 year old) is at least 8 or 9. At least then, he'll appreciate the hobby more. I'm probably going to buy one of those $300 starter planes this year. Just something to get me used to the controls.

Awesome pic of your son with the 747, by the way. That plane is wild.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

One of my favorite planes is my Boeing 747. 4 ducted fans, this thing flies high and far. Looks incredible in the air too. It is still relatively small, about a 50" wingspan. Here's my son just before his first flight with the Jumbo Jet.

Great pic of the little wrencher! Man you guys are making me want to order one of these things. That 747 looks like a blast to fly! Where did you get it Joe?

Comment

That's really cool Joe! I've never seen anything like that - and with 4 fan engines, no less. How are the engines powered?

Comment

The jumbo Jet uses four electric ducted fan engines, a 9.6 volt battery pack and I couldn't tell you the thrust.

These planes were $350 from Radioshack online if I remember correct. I bought mine online from Walmart.com when they had a closeout but I don't see them though Walmart anymore.

Comment

You should look into some lithium batteries for that. You'll get MUCH longer flight times. Probably double.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
                            You should look into some lithium batteries for that. You'll get MUCH longer flight times. Probably double.
                            Already was looking onto that. The only problem is the stock battery tray requires a long battery stick and I haven't seen a lipo that will fit in that location. It is going to need some major surgery to accomodate one.

Comment

had a nice flight the other day, snapped this pic while in mid flight.

Comment

Working...
                              X