What's up with the new LS9??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with the new LS9??

Anybody have anymore details on this motor? All I know is it's called the LS9, 6.0L V8 DOHC. Supposedly supercharged I guess.

I couldn't find anything searching, just a couple sites speculating stuff. I'm gonna assume it's for the Corvette. What is Chevy trying to do?! That new Z06 is sick enough, how much more can they do and still have a streetable car??
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Could that be in the "Blue Devil" or whatever that super-high-end Corvette model is called?
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I believe you may be absolutely correct, sir. I forgot about that car. I'd be willing to bet it's going into that.

No more pushrod for chevy eh?
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Hmmm...Interesting. The LT5 was DOHC, wasn't it? Maybe it's a trademark they're doing for all extreme models?
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
          Naa...from what I know, they're sticking to pushrods. I'm not sure what engine code the Blue Devil is gonna carry, but LS9 makes sense and what better way to keep driveability on an outrageous car than slap a supercharger on it. Sure you can do that with the current Z06, but this one comes with a warranty.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
            Hmmm...Interesting. The LT5 was DOHC, wasn't it? Maybe it's a trademark they're doing for all extreme models?
            Yeah, the LT5 was DOHC, but it wasn't designed or built by GM...I think it was by Lotus. Pretty sure...too lazy to search.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
              Yeah, the LT5 was DOHC, but it wasn't designed or built by GM...I think it was by Lotus. Pretty sure...too lazy to search.
              Mercury Marine

Comment

I see, thanks guys. Good to know

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  Mercury Marine
                  ahhh yes...thanks for the refresh. it's monday, brain is still on stand by mode.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                    I believe you may be absolutely correct, sir. I forgot about that car. I'd be willing to bet it's going into that.

Yeah, it's a pretty strong rumor apparently.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=49908

I think DOHC would be a big win for them - if they can pacakge it without sacrificing the lightweight aspects of the pushrod design.

I hope they do go DOHC with it - but I'm not terribly crazy about the supercharger, honestly. I'd rather see them stick to N/A beasts.
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I don't know about a DOHC design. OHC engines generally are larger than an equivilent displacement OHV engine. All signs seem to be pointing to a Supercharged Blue Devil type car. Maybe it's just an LS2 upgraded to handle the boost.
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Lotus Engineering, Porsche Engineering and Mercruiser(Mercury Marine) have had a long standing relationship that goes way back. The LT5 was built in Mercruiser's factory in Stillwater, OK but Lotus and Porsche had a big hand in designing and putting together the LT5.

It was and still is an awesome piece of hardware!

Comment

Is it possible that the LS9 might be a "dual cam" engine, but NOT an "overhead cam" engine? GM has been taunting us for years with the concept of running dual cams in the Gen III engines, but keeping them in the block, not "overhead".
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

man, i cant wait till we go cam-less
                            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                              Is it possible that the LS9 might be a "dual cam" engine, but NOT an "overhead cam" engine? GM has been taunting us for years with the concept of running dual cams in the Gen III engines, but keeping them in the block, not "overhead".
                              I'm not sure... This sheet says "DOHC" tho, for whatever it's worth.
                              LS9 DOHC

Comment

Working...
                              X