Advice on going into the Army

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
    Hope you like the beach. You'll be spending a lot of time playing in the sand...

I don't know how many times I've heard of someone going into the Army to join the special forces. It's one of those "if I had a quarter for everytime I heard that" kind of things. I'm not saying don't do it, but be prepared for some real challenges and a lot of stress. If you play your cards right and walk the straight and narrow it's possible to get a lot out of it. There will be sacrifices along the way though.

I'm not going to join the army then go for the special forces I'm signing up for the specail forces. I was told I'd have to take a few tests before being given the green light to go for them. I'm not going to say that I can make I've never done the training and don't know what its is. I can say that I am in very good physical condition as well as being in good mental condition.

As most of you have said I know that the recruiters are going to say just about anything to get me to sign that piece of paper. I am going to get as much in writing as I can. What all would you recommend I get in writing?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
      I'm not going to join the army then go for the special forces I'm signing up for the specail forces. I was told I'd have to take a few tests before being given the green light to go for them. I'm not going to say that I can make I've never done the training and don't know what its is. I can say that I am in very good physical condition as well as being in good mental condition.

As most of you have said I know that the recruiters are going to say just about anything to get me to sign that piece of paper. I am going to get as much in writing as I can. What all would you recommend I get in writing?
      Everything, recruiters don't care about you at all. You are just another number on their quota for a year, get absolutly everything in writing. The army from what I understand is always hurting for people so they will do whatever they can to get you in.. it's just they will only do what they need to. So make them give you the job you want.

And seriously, really think about going in as an officer, at least ask them about it.

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

Comment

94 Formula - I have a long time friend who is a retired Army recruiter (22 years). If you really want the no BS answer - he is the best there is I know of .

He was 1 of the 52 hostages @ the Iranian embassy when the Shaw was overthrown. He is retired 100% disability as later on he developed a thing about large crowds -- thus he cannot work or he will give up his 100% pay ...

translation - he loves to help people thinking about entering the army and getting what they want (he has the connections) as Time is one thing he has plenty of

he has helped many people straighten out their lives

If you are serious about joining, PM me your # and I'll give it to him . You can talk about what you want and he can tell you what path to take to get it
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by zebragirl83
          My cousin in law is Special Forces...
          He's career, so it is probably a lot different... but if you're planning to have a wife you better choose wisely...
          I know a woman who married, and her husband waited wait after they were married to tell her that he was going on tour for two years, DAYS AFTER THE WEDDING!
          ...jerk
          1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
          V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
          previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
            94 Formula - I have a long time friend who is a retired Army recruiter (22 years). If you really want the no BS answer - he is the best there is I know of .

He was 1 of the 52 hostages @ the Iranian embassy when the Shaw was overthrown. He is retired 100% disability as later on he developed a thing about large crowds -- thus he cannot work or he will give up his 100% pay ...

translation - he loves to help people thinking about entering the army and getting what they want (he has the connections) as Time is one thing he has plenty of

he has helped many people straighten out their lives

If you are serious about joining, PM me your # and I'll give it to him . You can talk about what you want and he can tell you what path to take to get it
            Bet he loves Jimmy Carter. That limp wrist wouldn't let us go over and get those guys. Well, there was the failed Delta mission fiasco, if you can count that.

Comment

Special forces is a cool thing, an elite group that you will be very proud to be a part of, if you make it. I just got out of the Army. I did my 4 years. My advice to you, seeing how you have college started would be the ROTC program. If your school does not have it, transfer to one that does. The pay for enlisted compared to commissioned is radiculous. Many many many people who join straight off the streets for special forces are not going to make it. Your not used to the condition, terrain, tasks you will have to perform. Most people that have been in for a few years do not make it. A good friend of mine is an instructor for phase II of sf school and he recommends you train for atleast a year, everyday to prepare for the school. Ruckmarching especially. If it was easy, everyone would do it. You really need to think about it, this is not a spur of the moment decisions, and if you wash out you become a bullett sponge, as we called them. (infantry) Good luck with your decision and don't believe a thing the recruiter says, talk to a couple different recruiters froma couple different offices, to give you a better idea of what will really happen if you decide to do it. Any more questions PM me.
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
              Traded in: 1998 Z28
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Hotwhip9 is correct.

go here if you want more info Army Rangers

Bob

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Did anybody see the survivalist training special on tv about the Rangers who were given a rabbit and had to live off it for a week or so. They made them eat the eye out of the rabbit as a snack - they didn't waste anything.

Comment

Working...
                  X