Friend got a slowstang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend got a slowstang

My friend just got a 89 5.0 hatch. Its bored 30 over, roush heads, shory headers, no cat, 3 in flowmasters, cobra intake manifold, bbk cai, and a very small cam. It sounds great and from the test drive i can tell its peppy. I was wondering about how much that car would have to the tires. We are also thinking of going down to rockingham drag way to run the 1/4 so we were wondering what to expect on a nice day. It is 5 speed with 3.55 rear end and its full weight.

Their power to weight ratio is phenomenal. I'm surprised the owner went with 3.55 gears. 4.11's seem to be the favorite amongst Fox body owners. At least from what I've seen. His car should be a beast. I personally wouldn't wanna run him.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

He is going to own you, and sound better doing it.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
        He is going to own you, and sound better doing it.
        I am very aware of this but you guys arent answering the question. He wants to get an idead of what he would run.

Comment

they run 14.9s stock, so my guess low to mid 13s maybe even 12s depending on driver and traction
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I have to admit, the sound of those 5.0L H.O. motors sounds very good! Especially cammed and with good heads and exhaust. It's really hard to guess without knowing a bunch more about the car and motor and drivetrain.

Comment

I don't think you can really tell without head/ intake flow and cam specs. I'd bet someone on the boards here could give you a rough estimate if you had that. I think a handfull of guys here have owned and/or worked on Mustangs in their day.
              Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
              SOLD- Kinda miss it
              94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
              SOLD- Good riddance!
              2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

13.0-13.5. He might even break into the 12s. The 4 link rear suspension in the Mustang hooks better than trailing arms/panhard bar design so expect a pretty good 60 foot time (without slicks). My old 85 Mustang would beat my 95 Z from 0-30 mphs. Mostly because of gearing and it hooked better. After that the Camaros horsepower would take over. I wish my 6 speed was geared with the 93 Borg Warner 6 speed gears. I envy the 93 F-body 6 speed owners. If I ever rebuild mine I changing 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear to 93s.

BTW I had 3.55 in mine. Since they hadn't invented the 6 speed yet I still wanted to be able to drive it on the highway. I had 3.73s in it at one time and it was a little high for highway use. I broke a tooth off of the 3.73s.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

out of all the stangs out there, the F0x bodies are the ones that i respect the most... they flat @$$ fly!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I have to admit I used to own a Fox body mustang. 1979 pace car, it was the first year of that body. I loved the sound of that car.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                    6.2L/382.97 ci
                    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                    WCT-5 speed
                    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                    Boss MS 18" Rims
                    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                    Custom Dual exhaust
                    1LE upgrade
                    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror