E85 fuel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E85 fuel

Does any one know if E85 fuel will work in a 2005 chevy trailblazer 4.2L ?

Thankyou
    Brian
    2 firebirds are better the 1.

Not if it's not certified for it. I've been reading about it, and it'll eat through certain components of a standard vehicle. Also you'd probably need larger fuel injectors and a reprogram of your PCM first. Check your fuel door or gas cap. It should say there. I think standard vehicles can run 15% ethonal, but E85 is probably too much.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by 2firebirds
      Does any one know if E85 fuel will work in a 2005 chevy trailblazer 4.2L ?

Thankyou
      Brian
      If your vehicle can run E85, it will say it right there on I believe your emissions sticker. I wish I could be more precise with my answer, but I'm trying to remember from what I learned from my fuel lectures in school. What I do know though, is that either on the bill of sale (which I'm not leaning towards), or on a label on your car (pretty positive on this one...emissions label), it will say that your vehicle is compliant with E85. If all else fails, call the dealership. It's really not hard for any vehicle to run a higher ethanol percentage. The only thing different in the fuel systems is cars that can run E85 will have a sensor that determines the Ethanol percentage in the fuel. The PCM is also programmed to comprehend, and act upon the signal wire from this sensor also. Because ethanol has fewer BTU's than the gas you normally use, more E85 will need to be injected in to the cylinder to create proper combustion. The result will be a lengthened injector pulse width, and lower miles per gallon.

On a side note, methanol is the corrosive one. Methanol fuels will require new fuel lines, fuel rails, etc...
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Working...
      X