What to use to clean alloys?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to clean alloys?

Just like the title says, what should i use to clean alloy wheels. My friend used ajax/comet on his wheels. It does a very good job at cleaning them and it doesnt seem to have an immediate effect. I'm worried about long term use though. Would it work or should i use something else. Thanks, Ryan.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

If the wheels are painted or clear coated you should clean them with the same soap you wash the rest of the car with.

You wouldn't wash the painted body of your car with an abrasive like Ajax, right? Why would you use that to wash your painted wheels?

If your wheels are chromed or polished aluminum than you should use something like Mothers mag wheel polish.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      If the wheels are painted or clear coated you should clean them with the same soap you wash the rest of the car with.

You wouldn't wash the painted body of your car with an abrasive like Ajax, right? Why would you use that to wash your painted wheels?

If your wheels are chromed or polished aluminum than you should use something like Mothers mag wheel polish.
      I've been using the soap that i use to wash the car. I was just double checking.
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Eagle one all wheel & tire cleaner works unbelievable well. I spray it on the wheel and tire and let it sit for 20-30 sec's then scrub the wheel with a soft bristle brush dipped in hot soapy water and then rinse and dry. This stuff will melt off any brake dust even the stuff you couldnt get off with soap and water and leave your wheels and tires looking brand new.
        1994 Camaro Z28 Bolton's, stall, 275 nitto's - SOLD
        1998 Camaro SS looking for 120+MPH N/A

Comment

Working...
        X