Hopefully not a Repost (ZL1 Camaro)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully not a Repost (ZL1 Camaro)

I was reading on one of my forums which linked to another forum about the 2009 Camaro Stats. Apparently according to Motor Trend, the stats are going to be overwhelming. I don't know how much you can take these paper engine wars to heart but they are claiming the ZL1 will have 505hp/470 torque and run an 11.4 in the quarter. THe only bad thing is, these cars are weighing in at 3600 lbs and are a good 500 lbs heavier than a Z06 with the same stats and apparently running faster. But still pretty neat to see, especially if these turn out to be real numbers

http://forums.streetfire.net/showthr...&highlight=zl1

I was reading the motor trend article. It was a computer simulation. Nothing too intesting i felt. They did mention how ever that Bob Lutz said he would not hesitate to drop in the LS7 into the camaro if needed to compete with the GT500/challanger That is great news to hear although they said they would expect high 40's for price. Well, we'll see how that pans out i guess
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

That would be a shame if the price is that high. I could see high 20's to low 30's, but to put it in the same price bracket as a vette, that sux. The Camaro is supposed to be AFFORDABLE performance. I hope GM is smarter than that.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

A little too pricey for the ZL1 but it sure does sound sweet.

1 question though; this may be a newbie one but why would Shelby use an iron block? Dont iron blocks crack easier and wouldnt they weigh more opposed to aluminum?

Comment

Look back at the cost of a 69 ZL1 though compared with the SS350, SS396 and the Z/28. There was a noticeable gap. Besides, if they produce the ZL1, it'd most likely be in limited numbers, not something meant for everyone to have so-to-speak.

As for using an iron block, its not prone to warpage as much as the aluminum block is and you don't need to worry about destroying the block if you bore it out.
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
          X