Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotta love maintaining a "performance" car..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta love maintaining a "performance" car..

So I tried getting the nut off the top of my shock with Jeff's instructions. After a while I said screw it, I'm gonna destroy the shock trying to get this nut off, so I put it back together and bought two front shocks.

I noticed my tie rod boots were torn. I want to replace those while I'm in there for my shocks and springs, new tires are going on wed., and I was going to have it aligned. Getting it ready for summer.

Outer tie rod, 36 bucks! Just for one! Did one on a tempo not too long ago and it was only 8 bucks.

Gotta love it.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Eh...you could own a German car. It's not that bad...at least we can fix our cars ourselves.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

put a new boot on it, as long as theres no play in the joint its still good
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
        put a new boot on it, as long as theres no play in the joint its still good
        Well, it makes a popping nosie when I turn really sharp. I never thought to just replace the boot, I think I'm gonna inspect the tie rod and hopefully I can get away with just replacing the boot.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Autozone sells the outer tie rod ends for $11 each. No kidding.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            ?! I only checked the site, I didn't call.
            What they have

If that link even works for you guys.

I tried to get a socket on there Jeff, but it's like... It has nothing to grab. It's held on by the bottom of the nut, and the smallest amount of metal. It's gonna be a blast to get it off when my shocks come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
              Yup. I put two new ones on mine last fall.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                ?! I only checked the site, I didn't call.
                What they have

If that link even works for you guys.

I tried to get a socket on there Jeff, but it's like... It has nothing to grab. It's held on by the bottom of the nut, and the smallest amount of metal. It's gonna be a blast to get it off when my shocks come in.
                I'm sure the outer tie rod ends were $11 each. I'm not sure why the web site shows different. Weird.

Yea that shock bolt is a (place 4 letter word here). Taking a wire wheel to the nut first really helped to get a socket on it. You have to get it off. You need the shock mount. I didn't have a plan B. Maybe a dremel.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I purchased my inner tierods for $8 CAD

Comment

Working...
                  X