X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceleration Defined: a must-read

wait till the end!

Acceleration" Defined

One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same
    rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger. With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the
    supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle. At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which
    quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg F.

Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water
    vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder. Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed
    during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down
    by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow
    cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before
    half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence. Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from
    light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm. Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP,
    each run costs an estimate $1,000.00 per second.

The current top fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds forthe quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00
    mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective, picture this scenario: You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered Corvette Z06.
    Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying
    start.
    You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The "tree" goes green
    for both of you at that moment.The dragster launches and starts after you.
    You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200
    mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

wow!!!
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
      Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200
      mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.
      And that..... is why I am totally addictied to the old 1320.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        And that..... is why I am totally addictied to the old 1320.

how many inches is that? you could use that number instead....

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

It cracks me up to see a dragster launch only to blow at the 60 foot line and coast the rest of the way clocking a 1/4 mile time of like 11 seconds at 120 mph. Still faster than I can do for the whole 1/4 mile.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Mostly true facts.....except the following:

The ET record is 4.440 set by Tony Schumacher on 10/01/2005.
            The Speed record is also held by Tony Schmacher at 336.15.

It's not true that the Top Fuel motors "diesel" on the top half of the track. If the plug gets blown out, that cylinder is dead for the rest of the run. Especially now that they only run 85% nitromethane. That's why on alot of runs you will see raw fuel being blown out the zoomies.

But they have come a long way in developing plugs specifically for Top Fuel motors. Most of the teams that I have talked to still all use the Champion TF plug gapped pretty tight.

The new MSD magnetos are putting out close to 60 amps. But each plug does not get 60 amps. There are 2 plugs per cylinder on a top fuel, so the 120 amps produced by both magnetos has to divide itself amongst 16 plugs.

And they normally only spin the motors to around 8,500 to 8,600. It all depends on the speed of their run since their clutches are locked up and the diameter of the 37.25 Eagle Dragway tires can grow over 5"

Comment

Didn't you post this several years ago, Wolfie?

(But, it's still interesting.)
              R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
                Didn't you post this several years ago, Wolfie?

(But, it's still interesting.)
                Im old.....i forget... but then, we do have new folks around that need an education, dont we?

Comment

Roger,

Yeah he posted it before but it doesnt make it anyless spectacular of a means of perspective

Now imagine the same scenario, but your flying an airplane and your going to race one of the drag trucks purpose built with a jet engine, say shockwave . You spot the airplane a flying start at a constant 300 mph and the course is a 2 mile runw runway, By the time you reach the end of the distance, your still flying 300 mph, but the jet semi-truck not only passed you before the end at 376 MPH, but matched or even out g-forced said story by wolfman

a quote from shockwave's bio
                  The truck's best performance has been 376 mph on a two-mile runway, as recorded in the Guinness Book of Records. "Stand her straight up and she'll pick up 3 g's, the same as what the NASA space shuttle will do.
                  Shockwave the truck, I have seen in person, but let me tell you when it turns on the afterburners, you can feel the heet from 1/2 mile away easily. and even more impressive in person - and I think you can get a ride in the truckwhen he is doing demonstration for the air show for a fee

some must read stats - link
                  Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                  Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                  pics and info

Comment

Years ago, Kenny Bernstein's top fuel dragster was pitted against the latest aircraft carrier launched fighter jet. The top fueler out accelerated the catapault launched fighter though the quarter mile.

Of course eventually the jet wins, but that's still one heck of a launch.

Comment

Really neat read wolfie, i guess im one of those new guys that needed an education
                      -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        Years ago, Kenny Bernstein's top fuel dragster was pitted against the latest aircraft carrier launched fighter jet. The top fueler out accelerated the catapault launched fighter though the quarter mile.

Of course eventually the jet wins, but that's still one heck of a launch.
                        All the new Pro cars have G-meters mounted on them. I've seen over 4.5 g's on a Top Fuel launch and over 5.5 when the chutes come out!

Comment

Im old.....i forget... but then, we do have new folks around that need an education, dont we?

It's been so long since you first posted it that you evolved from amphibian to mammalian.
                          R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
                            It's been so long since you first posted it that you evolved from amphibian to mammalian.
                            I like the new life better......

Comment

I'm new.............teach me oh masterful one............

Comment

Working...
                              X