• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts

On the HHR?

(I know the HP sucks, other than that)

She's Red and she's Rare.

~Black Beauty ~ Last 97 & LT1 Hawk

My Wife has an HHR. We bought it in December during GM's Red Tag sale.

For the money, it's one of the nicest cars I've driven. We have the larger 2.4L Ecotech engine (They also offer a 2.2L). It's not a speed demon by any means, but it more than gets out of it's own way. The gas mileage has been impressive so far. Averaging well over 30.

The interior is on par with ANY comparable foreign car. We got the car with a sunroof, the 2.4L, the chrome package (gives you a chrome grille, roof racks, door handles, mirrors, etc...), and XM radio. Out the door it was under $20 grand.

Storage in the rear is pretty good considering it's size (the HHR is built on the Cobalt chassis). The HHR is in the same class as the PT Cruiser, but it's better in just about every way.

If you wait until next year, they're supposedly coming out with a supercharged SS version. Should be pretty cool.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I see them running around a lot in Atlanta...they look cool, and in a recent test, they praised it for ease of control and package. Just wished it was stronger. It weighs a good bit...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

You asked, I'll answer. I don't care for the looks. However, I've never ridden in one.
        LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

miniture surf wagon

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Thanks guys. and especially 02 WS6.

Here is the deal, my health is not good and I am looking at the future. Walking, standing and sitting for long periods are hell for me. Morphine is my friend at 60 ml a day and numerous other pain meds. My vette is getting harder and harder for me to drive plus I may need room for a chair in the not to distant future. I chose the HHR for the roominess, storage and the height of the vehicle. (Can't be to low but can't be to high either). I would get some different wheels. I want the 2LT, with sunroof. It comes with the chrome package. I am looking for one in Magestic Amethyst Metallic.
            Basically purple. I haven't seen one yet. Second choice is Sunburst Orange II Metallic. Leather Interior.

Mr 02 WS6 your wife really likes it? What color/options did you get? Any idea on the SS being offered and what that will be? Thanks for all your help.

I had a cavalier for awhile and hated it. It could get out of the way of anything. Was a death trap for me.

If you all can think of another vehicle that meets my needs please let me knoW I'm just looking at this point and open to suggestions.

Comment

It's my pleasure. You can call me Greg.

We got the sport red metallic (a real nice dark red) with the 1LT package. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the 2LT. It has the 17" wheels which are nice.

We have the sunroof, XM, Pioneer 7-speaker system, chrome package, and roof racks. We would have gotten the leather, but they didn't have one in either red or orange on the lot with leather. We couldn't really afford to wait, so we took the one without it.

My favorite feature on the car is also one of the simplest. It has a small LED by the sunroof controls on the headliner./ It shines down onto the radio and temp controls with just enough of a subtle light to see what you're doing. A real nice touch (Euro cars started the trend, but it's still nice to have).

She already has over 7K on the odo because of her commute. She's put some time behind the wheel and loves it. So far, it's her favorite car she's ever owned. It's not the dog many people would have you believe... At least not with the 2.4L motor. It's a real easy driving car.

As far as the SS package is concerned, GM isn't saying much, but it's rumored the Cobalt SS supercharged engine will power it. Makes sense considering the HHR is on the Cobalt chassis.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                miniture surf wagon
                LOL, that's exactly what I thought when I firt saw it.

Jen, I don't think it's bad looking, but I honestly don't think it's great either. It sorta reminds me of cross between a old 50's Ford Woodie and a Dodge Durango.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                  LOL, that's exactly what I thought when I firt saw it.

Jen, I don't think it's bad looking, but I honestly don't think it's great either. It sorta reminds me of cross between a old 50's Ford Woodie and a Dodge Durango.
                  Kinda agree. Thought I moght could do some things to make it better. Also like the Pontiac Torrent at least it's a V6. I don't know what I'm gonna do but I'm going to have to do something.

Thanks, Greg for all the info.
                  You can call me Jen, most everybody does.

Comment

Originally posted by Y2KHAWK
                    Kinda agree. Thought I moght could do some things to make it better. Also like the Pontiac Torrent at least it's a V6. I don't know what I'm gonna do but I'm going to have to do something.

Thanks, Greg for all the info.
                    You can call me Jen, most everybody does.
                    Do you like the new Tahoe's?

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                      Do you like the new Tahoe's?

Love them but it is to high. I'm 5' 2" so midget sized..
                      The TrailBlazer and Envoy are to high also.

Comment

I've never ridden in one but I don't care for the looks. Just my opinion.
                        2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                        2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Jen, you are in warm sunny Tejas.. very rarely would a 4x4 be needed.. get a 4x2 SUV, and lower it with lower profile tires, have the speedometer recalibrated.. that would be perfect...! the Envoy's straight 6 is a screeming motor and gets up and goes!

I'm sick with the thought of you might needing a chair someday..you and i are close friends, you are like a sister to me over the years... im so sorry... another consideraton on that subject is accessability... do you want to have to go the the back to access the chair?...the side would be better...now were are talking (i know....the thought of it) mini vans.... they do make the most practicle vehicle for that scenerio, and they come pretty darn dressed out too!!!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

i dont like them, they look too much like the pt cruizers (the-pug-dog-car)! lol
                            1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
                            V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
                            previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

I hear the words Vette, Firehawk, etc......

You are the one that has to like the styling, and nobody else. About the only thing to me that looks negative is the front grill. That big chromed piece of plastic is the only thing on the vehicle that doesn't appear to blend well. The rest looks well balanced, decent lines and what appears to be good fit and finish.

I think for someone that is used to more than anemic power, you better be sure you aren't going to miss having the performance under your right foot. Then again if you are keeping some other stuff in the stable too, then you should be fine.

I'm right with ya on the pain and discomfort. Too many previous injuries and pain meds aren't really effective anymore. Vettes are pretty comfortable though....... depending on the year and seat option. I still have a dent in my right thigh from the seat bolster switch in my 93 and I haven't had that car for 11 years. I can see getting in and out being painful at times. There's still room for a chair though. Where there is a will, there is a way. Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X