Camaro comparison 98ss and 01z28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro comparison 98ss and 01z28

My TA is getting up there in miles and im looking to get something a little newer. Ive been looking around for a few months now and found 2 camaros that seem to be what im looking for. i was looking to see if there were any advantagesor disadvantages to either one. The first is a 98 SS and the other is an 01 Z28. Both are in the 14k price range, have roughly 31k for miles and are M6's. thanks
    99 Z28 M6, SS hood, borla muffler
    93 TA A4, sold

I think it would be personal choice and how much a SS option means to you.

Personally, I think because the SS is more rare, that it might hold it's value a little better, plus they are neat. I would get the SS.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy Muscle
      I think it would be personal choice and how much a SS option means to you.

Personally, I think because the SS is more rare, that it might hold it's value a little better, plus they are neat. I would get the SS.
      I agree with everything said here. It will definitely hold its value better.

I'd get the SS.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

That's a tough one. In addition to the comments above, I'd also add that a lot depends on what you plan to do with the car. The SS has some performance enhancements, but nothing that couldn't be done to the Z28. Slightly better exhaust, cold air induction, larger front swaybar, and springs that will give a boost to handling.

So, if you're going to lower the car and get an aftermarket exhaust than get the SS for looks or if you prefer it for the cache of the name. Otherwise the Z28 is probably a better value.

Just my .02. It's your car...as long as you're happy. That's what really matters.

[edit] forgot to mention. The '01 and '02 models came with the LS6 intake manifold and a different cam. They're known for making a little more power. Maybe not enough to make a difference. They're both quite fast. Go down to a Barnes&Noble or Borders. There's a book there on LS1 engines. It will give you the cam specs and specific differences.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Didn't the 00-02 LS1 get some improvement in oiling or piston or something to reduce the piston slap problem the LS1 has?
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            Didn't the 00-02 LS1 get some improvement in oiling or piston or something to reduce the piston slap problem the LS1 has?
            first thing: HAH AAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAH - unfortunately only a very small # of people got them (and I believe it was those who had their engines replaced under warrantee) Ihave a 2002 - burns oil and piston slaps like a banchee

the 1998 LS1 engine is different than all the other year (99+) LS1's - The walls of the engine are thinner (not good for boosted applications but others have done this sucessfully ), cannot resleeve them but the oil/pcv system is far better than the other years (not many burn oil in this year) as an offset. I think they did not benifit from the Z06 clutch either. More info can be found on LS1tech.com (they have a sticky with oodles of info) and it's water temp gauge actually is usefull!

the 01 Z28 will have the LS6 intake, Z06 clutch. In general more power thant the 98's mainly due to the intake. 2001's were a bad year for piston slap and severe oil burning but so be weary

I'd choose the new one to get the benefit of the intake since they're in the same price range
            Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
            Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
            pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
              I'd choose the new one to get the benefit of the intake since they're in the same price range
              I dunno about that... He'd be passing up the SS hood, spoiler, rims, swaybars, springs, exhaust, etc, etc... all for a intake manifold that can be purchased and bolted on for cheap?

It's alot easier and cheaper to upgrade an intake manifold, rather than all that other expensive stuff the SS car comes with... Jeesh, just a upgrade to a ramair style hood costs an easy $1500 after you pay for the hood, ramairbox and paint.

Here is the low down... the SS comes with lots of extras that will be costly if you try and upgrade the Z28 to match the SS.

painted SS hood w/ramair - $1500
              17" rims and tires - $1200
              painted SS spoiler - $600
              high flow exhaust - $500
              Hurst shifter - $100
              swaybars - $200

that alone is over $4000 worth of upgrades, plus you get to say you own a SS, which is more exclusive and will hold its value better in the long run. Get the SS, and if you really want the LS6 intake manifold, buy one from the classifieds secion and bolt it on. No big deal.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                [edit] forgot to mention. The '01 and '02 models came with the LS6 intake manifold and a different cam. They're known for making a little more power. Maybe not enough to make a difference. They're both quite fast. Go down to a Barnes&Noble or Borders. There's a book there on LS1 engines. It will give you the cam specs and specific differences.
                To add to that, the 98-99 engines don't accept as much of an overbore before the cylinder liners have to be replaced. The 00-02 are a slight re-design. Also, about 25% of 02 cars actually received LS6 blocks along with all of them receiving the LS6 intakes. Combine those features with owning the last of the generation, an '02 would likely be my choice. After that, just shop the color and trim level, you're set.

Comment

Here's another vote for the SS. The hood, plus rims and tires alone make it worth it to me.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

You know...I might just have to go shopping for an LS6 manifold. It looks like a pretty easy install.
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD
                    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

another vote for the SS

the 01 z28 isn't the last year of it's generation but if you are planning on boring it out or something yea i would have to say go 01

but like everyone has mostly mentioned it depends on waht you wanna do with the car

stock for stock def go with the SS and also on how much you wanna put into your car

i know looking back i somewhat wish i had looked into SS's so i could say yea it's an Super Sport.
                      1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

thanks for all the info guys. Im probobly going to take a look at the SS tomorow if the weather is good. If all goes well im going to take it for a drive on saturday when im not working. Thanks again
                        93 TA A4, sold

Comment

I would go with the SS, besides all the mentioned above, the interior is slightly different, atleast from what I have seen. The steering wheel radio controls for one, and isn't there SS badging inside as well?
                          2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
                          Traded in: 1998 Z28
                          http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Don't forget to check the build sticker to verify the 98 is a real SS.

14k is a realistic starting price but in reality people tend to ask higher than that for a low mileage M6 that is in good shape.

A local GM dealer here has a 1999 WS6 T-top stickered at 18k.

So many people do hood and spoiler upgrades on Z's, copies are common. Honestly I wouldn't cross-shop an SS vs. a Z28, simply because you should figure which one fits you better then try to find the right car.

A well maintained SS is going to run you maybe 2-4k more than a comparable Z. People that have them in good shape, with M6's and decent mileage do not want to let them go for cheap.

The real question should be would you rather have that 2-4k tied up in an SS package - or 2-4k put into stuff you want to do. You can do a lot for that kind of coin. I admit the hood and spoiler are pretty cool... but are they 2k in upgrades cool?

Check insurance too. SS's are nominally (bout $100 a year for me) higher.

Comment

I went and checked it out today and it looked pretty clean. where is the build sticker located? i thought they were on the inside of the drivers door but there wasnt one there. Can i run the VIN to see if its a real SS?
                              93 TA A4, sold

Comment

Working...
                              X