Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to vent - SLP has lost their minds!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to vent - SLP has lost their minds!

Sorry fellas...need to vent...kept this in too long...

I've been a diehard SLP fan since mid 1995 when I ordered my SLP modified 1996 Trans Am. Since then, my car has been an "unpaid" billboard for SLP, complete with badges, engine and suspension parts, and windshield display. Anyway, they have really lost touch with their roots...great parts at a reasonable cost.

For instance, check this out...

They have a 455 hp "upgrade" kit available for the 05 GTO. It consists of the following:
    * 160º Thermostat
    * High-Flow Air Filter
    * Under-drive Pulley
    * Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers w/PowerFlo-X Crossover/High-Flow Cats
    * Loud Mouth II Cat-Back Exhaust System
    * 1.85 Rocker Arm Package
    * SLP Custom PCM Tuning
    * 455 HP Bobcat Fender Badges

How much, you ask? Oh, just $3,600 before tax and shipping!!!!

That equates to $65 per horspeower increase. And let's be honest, the thermostat, air filter, pulley, and badges are worth nothing. Looking at the exhaust and rocker arms...maybe $1600 in parts. The tuning is just a PCM reflash...not dyno tuning.

What a shame...these guys have lost all sense of reality. Dave H. used to be a real down to earth guy. Why would anyone spend $3,600 for 55 hp when for less money, a supercharger will net you a 150 hp increase?

Perhaps SLP feels we should have to pay a premium to have bestowed upon us their name??? A $2,000 premium over the cost of the parts! Unreal!

It's bad enough the LT1 and 96 - 97 Ram Air cars have been wiped clean from their shop history (go ahead, find any mention of this Tier 1 deal). Since late 1998, they have completly stopped supporting LT1 motors. Sure, you can buy a ridiculously priced air filter or stickers for the rear of your car (by the way, they charged me $20 + $5.95 shipping for a small SLP sticker for the rear of my car...fair huh?) but as far as engine parts...forget about it. I called a few years ago asking about head/engine work and was told, "sorry, we don't support that line anymore".

Anyway...needed to vent. They wonder why most guys I talk to laugh when they hear the name SLP. They've priced themselves right out of the F-body world. And now they want GTO fans to "buy into" their dillusion.

What a shame....
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

SLP has been "out of touch" for a long time now. I think they made a big mistake by discontinuing their LT1 service and support. There are still lots of diehard LT1 owners out there.

BTW, re-flashing the PCM is what you do on the dyno. Having the car on the chassis dyno is just a big plus, becuse each time you do a re-flash you can immediately see how it affected the power curves and a/f ratio.

Comment

Let me clarify...

The way I understand it, the reflash they perform is equivalent to a Hypertech download. They don't do any "real time" dyno tuning making adjustments on the individual car. In essence...an off the shelf upload based on the mods.
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

You guys need to stop whining and just buy an LS1. Problem solved.

D&R

Seriously... I agree. SLP has raised their prices ever since they got out of bed with GM. About the only thing they have that's a bargain is the LoudMouth exhaust systems. Other than that, it's all about the name.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

That's why I haven't ordered from them in awhile. Customer service is so-so and shipping times are crazy.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Dave Hmburger is no longer with SLP, he owns his on aftermarket hood company now.... shows at SEMA and etc.........

Blame Ed Hamburger, once they lost the tier one projects from gm...they rely totally on aftermarket upgrades and parts for income......

yes, they are overprice for sure.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Wow...didn't know Dave left. A real shame...

You know, I wouldn't mind if they felt a bit "put off" by GM pulling their contract.

But what did I ever do to them? Why should I have to mortgage my house to get a quality part from them?

It's funny...they want people from the Mustang camp to buy their products. Not gonna happen in our lifetime.

Anyone ever see what they sell their used/takeoff parts for on ebay? Must be someone from SLP. Their sold under the name horsepower1 (Found A Deal LLC). They charge astronomical prices for basic parts...check em' out.
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

I won't buy from them either, again. I am also very unhappy that they removed email support. That means, we have to contact them on their hours, which are our working hours.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                  It's funny...they want people from the Mustang camp to buy their products. Not gonna happen in our lifetime.
                  Actually, some of them are. The Loudmouth kits are getting a good name with the dark side of the force. The sad thing, that will probably be all SLP will be known for anymore.

Ya know, they're clearing out their 93 headers for only $400, and I am still thinking about getting them. But, after seeing the problems Craig had/has with his, remembering having to fight to get the pass. side SFC in properly, fighting the CAI to hold the air filters as i put it in, the continuing lack of support for the LT1 owners...I'm losing my faith in them.
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    Let me clarify...

The way I understand it, the reflash they perform is equivalent to a Hypertech download. They don't do any "real time" dyno tuning making adjustments on the individual car. In essence...an off the shelf upload based on the mods.
                    SLP does have a chassis dyno. I know they do alot of testing with various products and setups to come up with some good tunes. Whether or not each customer receives custom dyno tuning on their own car probably depends on how much the customer spends.... knowing SLP.

Comment

Dave H sells alot of stuff on ebay. From what I have seen mailnly badges, decals and paperwork like dealer stuff. I can't remember the name he's under, sorry.

She's Red and she's Rare.

~Black Beauty ~ Last 97 & LT1 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Y2KHAWK
                        Dave H sells alot of stuff on ebay. From what I have seen mailnly badges, decals and paperwork like dealer stuff. I can't remember the name he's under, sorry.
                        funny, aint it Jen? "stuff" that you needed "proof of ownership" to buy a few years ago to keep the posers down........... now anybody can "make" a hawk, SS, or whatever......

its all bullchit.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

It really pisses me off.. I paid for 2 FireHawks yet anybody like you say can buy the stuff now and become a poser. Now you can't even get the wheels anymore, just great huh? So I now am looking for a spare set of wheels just in case. I'm getting ready to put lojack in the black hawk. I think it will be worth it.

Oh well now it will be like the clone cars. Can you spot the real thing?

But to answer your question Ken, Yes it pisses me off!!!!!

How ya feeling bog boy?

Comment

Originally posted by Y2KHAWK
                            Tinylittlecars
                            35th LE #2498 - CME/345hp, Bilstein, Auburn, !CAGS
                            SLP STB and SFC's, LE Grille, MBA Goodies, FRC's
                            PPC Headers and Random Tech Metallic Cats
                            GMMG Chambered Exhaust

Comment

Hi, Kent

Thanks, I couldn't remember. What brings you over to these parts?

Comment

Working...
                              X