Ford intermittent wiper problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford intermittent wiper problem

I'm having a problem with a '98 Windstar where the wipers don't work in intermittent mode. They'll work in high speed mode OK. So the multifunction switch was replaced, and still nothing. The relay was checked and switched with another good relay, still nothing. So it turns out a GEM (Generic Electronic Module) controls the intermittent wipers. So unless I'm not looking at another different hidden part, I'm thinking it's the GEM?

Anyone have experience with this part? It's not too cheap and easy to find...to just play "guess and check" with. It's really wonderful that they decided to put a whole bunch of interior/body controls (wipers, interior lights, parts of ABS, etc.) into a single device

Thanks for any advice.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

I don't get the chance to work on many newer Ford's, but from what I understand the common problem with the intermittent function is in the stalk module resistance. It causes the GEM module to overload and heat up.

BTW, I think that you have to program a new GEM module when you install it. I'm not sure what is all involved in doing that, but it sounds like a stealership type process.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Kev. We're gonna try to replace the motor, which contains the "park switch" before trying the trickier GEM. I think I can get an 80k used GEM on ebay for around $60, but like you said, the price to program it by the stealership could hurt.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Another problem could be that blue oval on the front.

Sorry. I know I'm not really helping, but I couldn't let it go.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

there's a recall on that. i have it at work. call your dealer. NHTSA recall.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
          X