Gas mileage question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas mileage question

I had just taken my trip last week and I have seemed to be slumping when it came to good gas mileage on the interstate. Now I just had my suitcase and another smaller bag, so I wasn't loaded down, and never ran the A/C. I was averaging 22.3 mpg on the highway. I know average on these '96 T/A's new was about 25. Around town I get about 16 mpg which is alright, but my question is, is this a normal mpg on the highway? In the past 6 months we've changed the opti, plugs and wires, air filter, and fuel filter. Is there anything else I should check that might give me a little better gas mileage? Oh, I never use anything less than 93 octane. My baby has never seen 87 or 89. Maybe it's age?
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

One possibility is the injectors. How many miles does your car have? Are they the original injectors or have they been replaced?

Other things that could drop your mileage are curb weight, cruising speed, changes in speed, stronger-than-normal winds (can affect mileage, but not a whole lot), etc. Also, remember that some cars just get less mileage than others of the same make, model, etc.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The car just turned 104k miles, and they are the original injectors. Could use a cleaning? Every now and then I put in an injector cleaner, my father swears by that stuff and puts in a bottle in his car every time he makes the same trip. Works for him!
      1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Cleaner is good, new injectors are better. I'm not saying you need new ones that often, and cleaner is a great way to keep your injectors working properly. But, like all working parts, they do start to go. When was the last time you ran some cleaner? What did you run if you did? Also, have you tested the fuel pressure yet?

If it were me, I'd start thinking about new injectors. Just my 0.02
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
        X