Studebakers/Avantis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers/Avantis

I know this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic but....has anyone seen the new Avantis or the Studebaker SUVs? Damn these things are ugly...and pricey too...90,000 plus for a V8 Avanti. They can keep it. Check it out at the link www.avantimotors.com
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Avanti is an fbody, so it's not off topic at all!
    Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Originally posted by gauSSian
      Avanti is an fbody, so it's not off topic at all!
      I wonder if that's still the case. I know they used fbodies up until production stopped with the 2002 models, but I don't know where the cars would come from for the current models. Plus if you look at the specs, the engines they list don't look like they come from GM.

It looks like they are using a Hummer to create a Studebaker XUV though
      2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
        It looks like they are using a Hummer to create a Studebaker XUV though
        I was going to say the same thing, I actuly don't mind the look, the only thing I realy don't like is the tail lights they dont seem to fit the whole style of the car.

The car on the other hand...maybe a math freak obsessed with geometric shapes would love the car but its not for me
        94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

The Avanti looks like a Corvair.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
            I wonder if that's still the case. I know they used fbodies up until production stopped with the 2002 models, but I don't know where the cars would come from for the current models...
            I wondered about that too. Maybe their volume is so low they still haven't ran out of them.

Originally posted by Crazy Canuk
            ...maybe a math freak obsessed with geometric shapes would love the car but its not for me
            this math freak doesn't care for it.
            Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

The Avanti cars never had and never will have any affiliation whatsoever with General Motors (GM). Most of the original Studebaker Avantis were built using Studebaker frames and chassis parts and the R series 289" Studebaker power plants.

Then later in the 60's, the Avanti II was still using Studebaker chassis', but used a small block Chevy 327 powerplant and drivetrain. Most of the late 70's and 80's AMC (Avanti Motors Corporation) cars were built using the Caprice, El Camino, and Monte Carlo (A, B, and G body's.)

In 1991, Avanti even made some of their own chassis' commonly referred to as the CAT chassis'. Callaway Advanced Technologies developed Avanti's chassis for the next few years, but they were not successful at all.

The "Kellogg" cars, namely the Avanti AVX which was built using F-body chassis', were built from 2001-2003 in very limited production.

Avanti cars, since 2004, are now using Ford Mustang chassis' and Ford Mustang powerplants and drivtrains.

All Avanti has ever done is sporadically purchase bulk vehicles from dealerships, then they strip the cars down and re-body them with Avanti designed bodies. The Avanti Motor Corporation has struggled since day one in 1964. They have always had major QC issues, problematic sales due to the hideous looks, and poor marketing.

That new Studebaker XUV and XUT are built using the Ford F-250 chassis' and Ford powerplants and drivetrains. GM sued Avanti a few years back because they felt like Avanti had copied the Hummer too closely. I'm not sure what came about from that Supreme Court ruling.

Comment

When I was in high school, I went out with a girl whose dad was a doctor and lived in a big house on a hill - he had an Avanti and told us we could drive it on our date. It had a TV camera for a rear view mirror and the house had a turntable in front of the garage to turn the car around after you backed it out. The girl had big boobs. It all only lasted for one date though

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                  When I was in high school, I went out with a girl whose dad was a doctor and lived in a big house on a hill - he had an Avanti and told us we could drive it on our date. It had a TV camera for a rear view mirror and the house had a turntable in front of the garage to turn the car around after you backed it out. The girl had big boobs. It all only lasted for one date though
                  The date? The car? The girl? or the boobs?
                  LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

My senior year in high school, I took this rich chick out for our homecoming prom. I was in a cast due to FUBAR'ing my left knee in a football game, so I couldn't drive because my Jeep Wrangler was stadard. We get to the girl's rent's house and her Dad hands me these keys, and just says take care of my girls. I thought maybe he had handed me the keys to a Buick or a Cadillac.....shit it was a 1995 ZR1....the last of the breed. She had medium sized boobs..... and I played doctor on them.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                      My senior year in high school, I took this rich chick out for our homecoming prom. I was in a cast due to FUBAR'ing my left knee in a football game, so I couldn't drive because my Jeep Wrangler was stadard. We get to the girl's rent's house and her Dad hands me these keys, and just says take care of my girls. I thought maybe he had handed me the keys to a Buick or a Cadillac.....shit it was a 1995 ZR1....the last of the breed. She had medium sized boobs..... and I played doctor on them.
                      How on earth did you drive a ZR1 Vette with your left leg in a cast?

And which one of your friends slow danced with your girl all night?

Comment

How on earth did you drive a ZR1 Vette with your left leg in a cast?

And which one of your friends slow danced with your girl all night?
                        With my right foot on the loud pedal. It was an auto...I was told by him it was fairy rare. Only thing, it was that weird purple color, and I remember it was weird looking through that blue glass top.

She danced with the school mascot all night, then I saw the principal cut in for a while!

Comment

Working...
                        X